Brittain to leave business school

By Trent Lowe, Staff Writer

Jack Brittain, dean of the U’s David Eccles School of Business, will be stepping down from the post he has held since 1999 to concentrate on his role with U Technology Ventures.

“I’ve been the dean for 10 years, and after that much time, I feel like it’s good to have somebody with new ideas come in,” Brittain said.

Brittain will focus more on his position as vice president of the tech ventures department, a title he has had since the creation of the department in early 2005. In addition to providing room for new ideas within the business school, the change will alleviate time constraints for Brittain.

“Tech ventures has expanded a great deal, so with also being dean of the business school, it’s been two full-time jobs for the past year,” Brittain said. “It’s time to focus on just tech ventures.”

The business school has already begun the interview process for Brittain’s replacement, assembling a search committee of 18 people associated with the business school. The committee, which is composed of deans, tenured faculty, U donors and undergraduates, has already interviewed a number of candidates and will release the names of the finalists later this week.

“We initially advertised the position in November and we started receiving applications quickly,” said Rachel Hayes, a professor of accounting and head of the committee. “I’d be comfortable saying that we have candidates from good schools.”

The new dean is expected to take over in April, but depending on the applicants and their availability, the date could change.

“I personally hope we have someone in April,” Brittain said. “It will be a good thing for the person coming in to participate in our programs during the year to get adjusted to the position.”

Under Brittain’s direction, the business school has increased its enrollment, created a new department of operations and information systems, had the largest university venture fund in

the United States at $18 million and improved its MBA ranking to number 34 in the nation, according to the Financial Times.

While pleased with the recognition from the national and international business community, Brittain said he is most proud of what he has done for the students of the school.

“I think the big change we’ve made is in the implementation of the student experience learning-based programs,” he said. “The amount of students involved in those has really ballooned. I think it’s to the benefit of our students, and it’s something we’re very proud of.”

Along with fulfilling his role as vice president of tech ventures, Brittain will continue teaching management classes at the business school.

“I’d like to teach undergraduates again,” Brittain said. “I like their inquisitiveness. After I’m done with tech ventures, I’ll just be a “POP’8212;a plain old professor. It’s been a great privilege to be in a position where I can make a difference.”