Students support sex education bill

By Sarah Cutler, Staff Writer

Students at the U are fighting to help younger students become informed about the reality and consequences of sex and many signed a petition supporting House Bill 189, the reformed version of the present sex-education bill.

Sex education hasn’t changed much in Utah since the early ’90s and the outline of what to teach teenagers has little influence on their sexual activity. The rate of teen pregnancies and sexually transmitted diseases is on the rise, which proves the failure of sex education.

The state sex education law as it is now, known as Instruction in Health, prevents teachers from advocating the use of contraceptives and requires that students take sex education in school to learn about abstinence.

Three major amendments are being proposed to the law. The bill states that classes should educate on contraceptives, sexually transmitted diseases, personal hygiene, healthy communication, self-esteem and positive interpersonal skills focusing on relationships skills.

Students for Choice, a group of students who worked with the Planned Parenthood Association of Utah, set up tables at events such as Redfest and the Student Health Fair last semester and also held panels for students to learn more about the bill.

Ricky Cheney, a senior in political science, has been an active part of spreading the word.

Last year, the American Civil Liberties Union hosted a series of film screenings using episodes from its Freedom Files. One of the screenings that Cheney organized was called “The Freedom to Know: Sex Education.”

“I think abstinence-only education is a delusion of reality,” Cheney said. “I study international relations and we don’t pretend issues don’t exist. We don’t pretend the world is at peace. You don’t help breast cancer by pretending it doesn’t exist. An honest pedagogical approach is the best.”

STDs are on the rise in Utah. In 2006, the Department of Health reported more than 5,000 cases of chlamydia in Utah, which is double the rate of infection since 2000. Utah’s gonorrhea rate has increased by 195 percent since 2000, the highest increase among all the Western states. Reported HIV infections have increased by 200 percent since 1999.

“STD rates are currently some of the worst in the whole country,” Cheney said. “We will finally be able to have adequate education on the topic.”

The bill eliminates statutes prohibiting teachers to advocate contraception, creating an environment for students and teachers to have open dialogue on the use and benefits.

Sam Sutton, a spokesman for the Planned Parenthood Association of Utah, said the way the bill is set up instills a fear in teachers to not say anything that might sound like advocating.

Sutton said it’s important to look at what counts as advocating.

“No teacher is going to say “hey contraceptives are really great,'” Sutton said.

By removing the prohibition of advocating contraceptives, teachers will be able to educate properly. This will also eliminate confusion among teachers as to what they can and cannot say.

Pace Measom, a sophomore in English, said he supports the proper and thorough education of teenagers.

“It is natural for teenagers to experiment with their sexuality,” Measom said. “So it makes sense to educate them about contraceptives and how to use them.”

All teachers will need to be instructed in the courses to maintain medical accuracy. Specifically, they would have to be from reliable, objective sources that are published in peer-reviewed journals, Sutton said.

The bill will maintain the importance of teaching abstinence but also include a comprehensive outline of what should be taught to best educate teenagers and promote physical and mental health.

“Education…can be done in such a way that doesn’t advocate premarital sex,” Measom said. “And can still highlight abstinence as the best protection.”