Student’s suspected killer back in Utah to face charges

By Michael McFall, Staff Writer

The man charged with killing a former U student and raping another is back in Utah to face charges.

Donald Eugene Younge Jr.’s first charge is for the rape of a former U student in 1996. He is also charged with killing Amy Quinton, a theater student, in 1999.

According to court records, Younge broke into the house that Quinton rented with two other women. After assaulting the women, he tied them up and stole their wallets. Before he left, he stabbed one of them with a knife, then stabbed Quinton. The 22-year-old later died from her wounds.

It was nine years before police pinned Younge with one count of aggravated murder, two counts of attempted aggravated criminal homicide, one count of aggravated burglary and three counts of kidnapping and robbery. The charges, all of which are first degree felonies, landed after a relative came forward and identified his voice on a 911 call, said Deputy District Attorney Alicia Cook. One of the women tried to call 911 during the break-in, but Younge hung up the phone before she could tell them anything. While he was tying up Quinton and her roommates, a dispatcher called back. Younge picked up the phone and said that everything was fine, according to court documents.

Younge is also charged with raping another student in 1996. It was the first case in Salt Lake City history to use a DNA profile to find a complete John Doe. The victim had no idea who had assaulted her, but now she has a chance to find justice, Cook said.

Before Younge could be brought back to the state, he had to face separate charges for killing three Illinois prostitutes and assaulting a fourth in the two years after he fled Utah, according to court documents. Prosecutors dismissed the charges after the credibility of one of their witnesses fell through, Cook said.

Younge’s court appearances will be scheduled later in the week. For now, he waits in Salt Lake County Jail. If found guilty for Quinton’s aggravated murder, he could face the death penalty.

Amy Quinton

Donald Eugene Young Jr.