Fans say goodbye to Kim and Baskett at Senior Night

By Bryan Chouinard, Staff Writer

Friday isn’t the end of the season for the Utah gymnastics team, but it is the end of an era.

For the past four years, Red Rocks fans have had the pleasure of watching seniors Nina Kim and Kristina Baskett perform in the Huntsman Center. Friday night, Kim and Baskett will be introduced in front of their home fans for the last time.

“I know I’m going to cry a lot,” Kim said. “I mean it’s not like I’m going to bring a box of tissues. I’m just so excited, but I know it’s going to be bittersweet.”

“I’m not going to lie. I’ll probably cry,” Baskett said. “Just because of all of the fans. It will remind me of my four years here.”

Senior Night is something head coach Greg Marsden has become accustomed to during his time at the U.

“It never seems like four years,” Marsden said. “It’s the nature of things and it’s one of the things I really enjoy about college athletics. There’s no replacing Kristina and Nina and it’s hard to think about next year without them. But with that said, this will be the beginning of a new chapter in their lives.”

The two seniors will attend a ceremony and have some time with loved ones before the meet. Baskett will be accompanied by her parents and have a special guest in the crowd as well: Baskett’s godfather, who has never seen her perform, will be making the trip from Alaska to see his goddaughter’s last home meet of her college career.

Kim will be accompanied by her parents during her introduction, but she’ll have a guest as well8212;her best friend, Olympic gold medalist Nastia Liukin. Kim and Liukin, who both grew up in Texas, have been close friends for years. It was only weeks ago that Kim found out Liukin would attend Senior Night.

“She just surprised me a couple of weeks ago,” Kim said. “I mean, I went to Beijing with her and I know it’s not the Olympics, but for her to support me in this way is just really special.”

Growing up in Texas, Kim described herself as a big sister to Liukin, and even with Kim leaving Texas to attend the U, the friendship has grown into something Kim holds close to her heart.

“We have just become best friends,” Kim said. “It’s “good morning’ in the morning and “good night’ at night. She’s the first and last person I talk to every day and it’s just amazing to have someone like that in your life when they’re not even here.”

Although emotions will be running high in the Huntsman Center on Friday, the Red Rocks will still have a meet to win against an opponent Utah hasn’t beaten in the regular season in three years8212;No.5 Florida.

“While we do want to celebrate (Kim and Baskett’s) careers here, we do need to stay focused, have a good meet, get a good score and beat Florida,” Marsden said.

And when the meet is said and done, the two seniors know that although it will be an unforgettable night, it will be a lot easier to reminisce if they take care of business at home against Florida.

“Once we get to our first rotation, we’ll get right back into the competitive mindset,” Baskett said. “I want to compete well and do a good job so I need to get back into that mentality. (The Florida meet) will be a good chance to fix some stuff, make some changes and make some upgrades before we go into the postseason, and having the added pressure from Florida is good too because we’re going to see them at nationals.”

After Florida, Utah closes out its regular season March 20, when it travels south to Provo to take on BYU for the second time this year. After BYU, it’s on to regionals for the Red Rocks before finishing up their season in Lincoln, Neb.

So although the Red Rocks have plenty of work this season, Friday night is the last chance for Utah fans to thank Kim and Baskett for four years of hard work and wish them luck in the rest of the season. As for after the season8212;well, Marsden isn’t too worried about Kim or Baskett after their time here is done.

“They’re both very talented and intelligent young women,” Marsden said. “And I know they are going to go on and accomplish great things; their time here was just preparation for that.”

Lennie Mahler

Kristina Baskett will be honored Friday night as the Red Rocks celebrate senior night at the Huntsman Center.

Lennie Mahler

Nina Kim will compete for the last time at the Huntsman Center Friday night against Florida.