Men’s team picks up All-American awards

By Christopher Kamrani, Asst. Sports Editor

What a way to go out.

Utah senior center Luke Nevill was named an Associated Press All-American Honorable Mention selection. It’s the first time Utah has had an All-American since former No. 1 NBA draft pick and fellow Aussie Andrew Bogut. Bogut was one of the consensus All-American honorees in 2005, as he was selected to the first team.

“This is a real honor and something that I never expected,” said Nevill in a statement. “I really want to thank my teammates, my coaches and everyone that helped me this year to become the player that I am now. They are the reason I got this award. I am very thankful to be recognized for my achievements this year.”

The 7-foot-2-inch son of Perth, Australia, has joined elite company during his tenure at the U.

Nevill was named the 16th Ute in the history of the program to receive the All-American accolade. He was also named this year’s Mountain West Conference Player of the Year, along with the MWC Defensive Player of the Year and MWC Tournament Most Valuable Player.

“This is a great accomplishment for Luke,” said Utah head coach Jim Boylen in a statement. “It is a real testament to his hard work, development and effort to play for his teammates. I think it’s also a product being the top player from a winning program.”

Nevill broke the MWC’s all-time rebound record this season as he hauled in 937 rebounds, while also breaking the Utes’ single-season record for blocked shots in a season with 92 swats, a record previously held by Bogut.

During his four years on the hill, Nevill racked up 1,898 points, which pits him fourth all-time in Utah history.

Nevill has been invited to play at the Hershey’s College All-Star Game in Detroit this Friday as part of the Final Four festivities.

BYU guard Lee Cummard has also been extended an invitation and will play alongside Nevill.

Lennie Mahler

Luke Nevill became Utah?s first All-American since Andrew Bogut did it in 2005. Nevill received the Honorable Mention for his performance during his senior season.