Women’s team picks up All-American awards

By Quinn Wilcox, Staff Writer

What’s one more award?

Morgan Warburton was added to the AP All-American Honorable Mention list, announced Tuesday. This will be Warburton’s second time on the list, after being awarded Honorable Mention on 2008’s All-American list.

Warburton was the only player in the Mountain West Conference who was put on the list.

Warburton’s mention on the AP All-American list would be difficult to argue against.

The senior guard from Helper was named the MWC Player of the Year after a stellar season in which she led the Utes in scoring with 18.7 points a game and assists per game at 3.4. Her 18.7 points per game average was good for 27th best scoring average in the nation.

Warburton also made the Utah record holders get out their erasers this season as well.

Warburton will leave Utah with just about every free-throw record there is.

She shot a school-best 90.4 percent from the line this year, a school-best 88.3 percent for her career, as well as setting records with career free throws made (439), in a season (161) and in a single game (16). Warburton also holds the record for consecutive games scoring in double figures with 66.

Warburton was also able to climb her way up the career-scoring chart this season.

After becoming the Utes’ 20th player to hit the 1,000 career-point mark in 2008, Warburton was able to ascend all the way up to fourth this season. Warburton finished with 1,886 points in her career.

Highlights for Warburton this season included leading the team in scoring in 17 games, while also turning in an impressive performance in the MWC Tournament. Warburton hit the game-winning basket against New Mexico in the tournament’s semis. She followed that performance with a 24-point, eight-rebound night against San Diego State in the MWC title game, helping her team win its second straight MWC tournament championship.

Erik Daenitz

Morgan Warburton has been named to the All-American Honorable mention list for the second time in her career at Utah. The first award came last season.