ASUU appoints new chief of staff

By Jeremy Thompson, Staff Writer

New ASUU leaders took the first step in combining their multi-party administration by appointing Ameena Khan as chief of staff.

Members of the Revolution and GO parties from student government elections said their immediate goals include bridging the gap between them, after recent elections divided the Senate and Assembly between the two groups.

The Senate is split almost down the middle between the two parties, and the assembly is equally divided. Tayler Clough, president-elect of the Associated Students of the University of Utah, said Khan was the perfect person to help unite the different groups because she served as one of the campaign managers for the GO Party and has the legislative experience to work with the dual party branch.

“We are going to be stronger because of our differences,” Khan said. “We all come from different ideas and backgrounds, but that is a good thing. When it all comes down to it, we all want what is best for the university.”

Khan currently serves in the ASUU General Assembly representing the College of Social and Behavioral Science, where she has served as vice chair of the appropriations committee. She was also assocaite director of Crimson Nights.

Her experience is what put her above the competition, said Rachel Rizzo, vice president elect.

Khan beat out nine other candidates for the position, including elections registrar Kariann Hibbard and the GO Party’s other campaign manager, Cameron Beech.

Kahn said she is grateful for the chance to help and eager to start her new responsibilities.

“I am very excited for the opportunity,” Khan said. “I think although our personalities are different, the administration and I click.”

Rizzo said Khan’s experience and vision made her selection the right decision.

The administration will now turn its attention to filling the rest of its executive cabinet with interviews this week. Rizzo said they are hoping to have the entire cabinet ready to function by the end of next week.

Correction: In the April 6 story “ASUU names Khan as new chief of staff,” it was incorrectly reported that Ameena Khan was selected to be the deputy chief of staff for the new Associated Students of the University of Utah administration. She has actually been appointed to the position of chief of staff. Khan is also serving as vice chair of appropriations committee in the ASUU General Assembly and previously served as associate director of Crimson Nights. The story misstated the positions she held.

Ameena Khan