Rugby advances to national division 1 playoffs

By Quinn Wilcox, Staff Writer

A trip to the Division I playoffs is in order for the Utah rugby team.

After winning a close contest against Central Washington, 28-27, the Utes will now advance to the National Division I playoffs after having secured the No. 4 seed from the Pacific Coast.

The Utes will take on the Louisiana State Tigers at Berkeley, Calif., on April 17.

Utah needed to survive an onslaught by Central Washington during the final six minutes of Saturday’s match.

Trailing 27-25, Utah’s Danny Christensen made a penalty kick from 10 meters out to give the Utes a 28-27 lead. Central Washington tried to plow its way through the Utes’ line, but as time expired, the Utes were able to strip the ball loose and kick for a touch, giving them the victory.

At the start of the game, the Utes looked as if they would have an easy time with Central Washington, jumping out to a quick 14-0 lead after two tries by Zach Taylor and Camden Burd. Penalties brought Central Washington back into the game, however, and the Wildcats only went into halftime down 17-13.

Other notable standouts against the Wildcats were AJ Tuineau, who also had a try and Christensen, who had one other conversion to go with his clutch kick that sealed the deal for the Utes.

Utah will now have a very tough test awaiting it in the national Division I playoffs.

The LSU Tigers are the No. 1 seed in the West after stomping Air Force 51-18.

The Tigers had the Falcons down 42-3 at the half and they never looked back. If Utah is fortunate enough to beat LSU, it will take on either No. 3 seed Air Force or No. 2 seed Cal Poly in the Round of 8.

Quinn Wilcox