Utes looking for MWC win against BYU

By Paige Fieldsted, Staff Writer

In softball, timing is everything. And for Utah, everything is finally in sync.

Coming off three wins against Utah State earlier this week, the Utes feel like there is no better time to face rival BYU.

“They are a good team and it is going to be a challenge, but we are on a high right now,” first baseman Staci Hemingway said. “It’s the best time for us to play BYU right now.”

Despite facing a 27-14 BYU team that was picked to finish first in the Mountain West Conference, the Utes feel confident they are ready for the challenge ahead of them.

“They’ve got nothing that we haven’t prepared for,” Hemingway said. “We’ve prepared as well as we can and I think we are going to give them a good match and they’ll see something different out of us than I think they are expecting.”

After opening the MWC season with two consecutive road losses to New Mexico and Colorado State, the Utes have spent the week working on the little things in preparation for this weekend’s games.

Base-running and hitting in certain counts are a few of the specifics the team has been working on, which made the difference in the Utah State games.

“That was one of the biggest things coming off the weekend8212;we played so well but we didn’t do the little things,” Hemingway said. “Coming off the Utah State wins, those were the things we did better.”

Despite hitting well in the past several games8212;an area Utah has struggled with all season8212;the team was still unable to put a complete game together, something head coach Amy Hogue said changed against Utah State.

“We hit the same as we have been hitting, but to find a way to win is a big deal for us,” Hogue said. “We had a plan offensively, defensively and on the mound, and all three of them came through and we got wins.”

Although the Utes have been playing well as of late, multiple injuries could be an issue against BYU, as all of the pitchers have been injured recently.

There have also been injuries at second base and behind the plate.

Even with injuries Hogue has no doubt that she can put a team on the field capable of beating BYU.

“We’re dinged up a little bit, so I don’t know until game day who’s healthy and who’s not, but that is the only question mark,” Hogue said. “As far as being able to put a team on the field to beat this team, I’m sure we can do that.”

BYU comes to the game on an eight-game winning streak, including three MWC wins, while Utah is looking to pick up its first conference win.

Even with the intensity surrounding the rivalry matchup, the Utes aren’t letting emotions interfere with their game plan.

“This team seems pretty calm in their demeanor about it,” Hogue said. “I’m fired up because I always get a little more fired up for this game, but they seem calm and we’ve prepared the same.”

The Utes will face BYU today at 4 p.m. on Ute field and will be back Saturday for another matchup against the Cougars at 1 p.m.