Boylen to stay through 2014

By Matt Sanchez, Staff Writer

For Utah head basketball coach Jim Boylen, Utah really is the place.

The Utah men’s basketball team was coming off two consecutive losing seasons and desperately needed some change. Ray Giacoletti’s teams were seen as underachieving, and the program needed a shot of enthusiasm and excitement. The fans needed a reason to cheer; Ute nation needed a coach who would help restore the team to prominence. Enter Boylen.

Boylen, the 2009 NABC District 17 Coach of the Year, has brought a winning tradition back to the U and has led the Runnin’ Utes to a 42-25 record since taking the reins in 2007.

Boylen recently signed a five-year contract extension that will keep him in crimson red through 2014. The new deal will pay Boylen $850,000 a year and could be worth as much as $1 million with bonuses.

“My family is very happy and we’ve been well supported,” said Boylen, an East coast native. “I’ve enjoyed Utah and I like it because people care. Being a head coach, there’s a natural high and vibe you get from the people here.”

Boylen took over a program that was a shell of its former self but is devoted to rebuilding.

“I am committed to taking this program to the highest level and this contract signifies the University’s belief in me,” he said. “I got an extension; I got a raise, but nothing has changed. My passion for Utah basketball is (here),”

Athletic director Chris Hill, continues to show faith and support for the coach he helped hire two years ago.

“It was important to retain Jim not only for his coaching and recruiting skills8212;which are excellent8212;but for his tireless promotion of his sport and his commitment to his team’s academics,” said Hill in a statement.

Boylen led Utah to the 2009 Mountain West Conference Tournament Championship, a tie for the MWC regular-season crown and the highest NCAA tournament seeding in MWC history, a five seed.

“I am obsessed with continuing to build this program and it’s important to keep our momentum going,” Boylen said.

The Utes played a very formidable schedule last season with games against California, Oklahoma, Gonzaga and LSU, and Boylen knows that experience helped his team.

“Our schedule last year was tough and it will be difficult again next season as we continue to play as many tough teams as we can,” he said.

Playing quality opponents was one of the major factors in last season’s success and helped the Utes get penciled into the NCAA tournament with a strong RPI. The Utes will play another tough schedule in 2009-2010 against nonconference foes Illinois, Oklahoma State and Michigan.

“(Next year) we will be green; we will be young but we will be competitive,” Boylen said.

Boylen was adamant about not being content with his team’s success and even though he is losing several key players from last year’s team, he intends to coach winners.

Lennie Mahler/The Daily Utah Chronicle

Utah basketball coach Jim Boylen signed a five-year contract extension what will pay him $850,000 a year. The contract could be worth $1 Million if Boylen earns the bonuses in the contract.