Women’s Basketball: Utes attempt ‘round 3’ in Arizona

Iwalani Rodrigues guards Arizona’s Davellyn White on Jan. 18. This matchup will happen again in today’s Pac-12 tournament game. Erin Burns / The Daily Utah Chronicle
Iwalani Rodrigues guards Arizona’s Davellyn White on Jan. 18. This matchup will happen again in today’s Pac-12 tournament game.
Erin Burns / The Daily Utah Chronicle

For Utah’s season to continue, the third time better be the charm.
The first round of the Pac-12 Tournament tips off today, and Utah will play Arizona for the third time this season. The Wildcats have already beaten the Utes twice, and the team is eager to finally slay the dragon that’s been eluding them all year.
“Our kids didn’t say, ‘Oh no,’ about having to play Arizona again,” said head coach Anthony Levrets. “They were excited to play them, and that’s what you want.”
Utah (17-12, 8-10 Pac-12) is the sixth seed, and the Wildcats (12-17, 4-13 Pac-12) are the 11th, but this is an instance where it won’t be an upset if the lower seed wins. For the Utes, though, history isn’t against them.
“Beating a team three times in one season is really hard to do,” Taryn Wicijowski said. “Hopefully, by now, we know their style of play. We owe them one.”
Arizona’s style is constant pressure from the moment the ball is in play. After the Wildcats make a basket, they establish a full-court press. That stifling pressure is the reason Arizona forces more than 19 turnovers a game, which leads the conference. They also force 9.4 steals per game, which is third in the Pac-12.
In their first matchup, it took Utah almost 35 minutes to establish the play they were going to use to maneuver around the Wildcats’ press and get the ball down the court. When the Utes finally figured it out, Rachel Messer had a chance to tie the game in the final minute, but missed both free throws, and Arizona stole the first matchup in Salt Lake City 62-58.
“We obviously have to handle their pressure a little bit better,” Levrets said. “But if we do, I think we have a good chance.”
Not only do they have to handle the pressure, but the Utes need to play smart defensively and not let Arizona get to the foul line. The Wildcats are second in the Pac-12 in free-throw percentage with a 72 percent clip.
The Utes got down 18-4 against Arizona in their last matchup in Tucson, which the Wildcats won 61-52. They sealed the victory down the stretch by making free throws.
“The start is going to be critical,” Michelle Plouffe said. “Everyone has that itch under their skin about the last couple games, and I think we know what’s coming.”
What’s coming is Davellyn Whyte, the Wildcat point guard who averaged 22 points and 10 boards in two games versus Utah this season. The Utes will have Iwalani Rodrigues and guard Whyte. Rodrigues will need to use her four years of playing experience to shut down the speedy point guard.
Another key will be Utah’s three-point game, both offensively and defensively. The Utes are first in the Pac-12 in three-point shooting percentage, but they’re second in the conference in the number of threes surrendered.
The team has been prepping for the tournament since the middle of the year when they posted the conference standings on a whiteboard for every player to see.
“This is why you play,” Levrets said. “It’s a fun atmosphere. It’s going to be a great time.”
Levrets said he has players that enjoy the big stage, and they’re looking forward to the bright lights of their nationally televised tournament.
“I love this time of year,” Plouffe said. “It’s when everyone has to step their game up and leave it all out there. I love it.”

• D

dKADwQBCtzMar 12, 2013 at 5:49 am

168303 6073You produced some decent points there. I looked on the web for that issue and discovered many people is going together with with the internet website. 55331

• D

dKADwQBCtzMar 12, 2013 at 5:49 am