Football: Utes work to get back in shape

Conroy Black blocks for Keith McGill after McGill intercepts a pass from UNLV during the 2010 season. Chronicle File Photo
Conroy Black blocks for Keith McGill after McGill intercepts a pass from UNLV during the 2010 season.
Chronicle File Photo

BACK ON THE FIELD After injuries and absences, Utes strive to come back to the game ready to give quality performances

Sometimes college players have to leave the game for a time, whether by choice or involuntarily. At Utah, most commonly it is because of injury or missionary service.
Senior cornerback Keith McGill’s absence of more than a year came after injuring his shoulder in 2011. However, coaches have put a lot of trust in him, as he is projected to start this season.
“They didn’t look at me as a weak link,” McGill said about his coaches. “They looked at me like I never had surgery, so I have to play like I haven’t.”
At the outset of Tuesday’s practice, McGill’s shoulder seemed to be bothering him, but it was only because it was in an odd position after he jammed a receiver. Once it was readjusted, he was back to using his big frame to cover wide receivers.
Fear of re-injury often causes players to hesitate and lose their edge, but for McGill, putting the injury out of his mind has been important as he tries to get back in game shape.
“I don’t think about it too much,” he said. “It doesn’t really affect me now, so you just got to play through it.”
While McGill is trying to return to football from injury, redshirt freshman Isaac Asiata voluntarily left the game to serve a two-year mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Such a long period of time away can cause players to lose a step, but Asiata said he’s adjusting well.
“The weirdest part is it felt natural coming back,” Asiata said. “The hardest part has been getting back into shape.”
Asiata redshirted after graduating from high school early so he could join Utah in 2011. He then served a mission in Tulsa, Okla. He said the experience has affected his work ethic.
“When I came in as a freshman I was a punk,” Asiata said. “Bad mindset, I acted like I was in high school. But when I came back [from the mission] I see a big difference.”
Head football coach Kyle Whittingham has sent two of his own sons on missions and said it is a great opportunity for young men to mature. Last October, the LDS Church changed the age young men are eligible to leave on missions from 19 to 18. Whittingham said the change won’t have much effect on the program.
For Asiata, McGill and other players returning to the team from injuries or missions, they are returning to different schemes than the ones that were in place when they last played in a game. Like many teams, much of Utah’s offense this season will revolve around no-huddle principles. For defensive players, getting used to how to defend that style of play is the latest challenge.
“It’s becoming a trend,” Whittingham said of the no-huddle. “More teams every year are running the up-tempo offense. If it keeps up, huddling is going to be nonexistent in football.”
The Utes hope to be executing on all levels when they hold their first scrimmage on Friday. With new schemes, new coaches and a new level of intensity, they want to be sharp as soon as possible, even if some players are still trying to make their way back.

• P

parc bébé pas cherApr 7, 2013 at 6:51 pm

Excellent beat ! I wish to apprentice while you amend your site, how could i subscribe for a blog web site?
    The account aided me a acceptable deal.
    I had been tiny bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided bright clear concept

• P

The account aided me a acceptable deal.

• K

ken bApr 5, 2013 at 5:44 pm

really good work Brandon. That gave us a lot of good information. Thanks for the up date.

• K

ken bApr 5, 2013 at 5:44 pm