Football: Healthy competition

Sophomore quarterback Adam Schulz during spring practice. Schulz is competing for a starting role for the Utes next season. Chad Zavala / The Daily Utah Chronicle
Sophomore quarterback Adam Schulz during spring practice. Schulz is competing for a starting role for the Utes next season.
Chad Zavala / The Daily Utah Chronicle

GOING FOR QB Utah’s need for a powerful starting quarterback drives some competition for the slot

Quarterback play was one key factor in the Utes’ struggles last year. Utah amassed just a 5-7 record as three different quarterbacks started games. Then-freshman Travis Wilson showed flashes of talent with his running ability, but his overall passing game didn’t produce enough down the stretch.
For the Utes to contend for the 2013 Pac-12 South Division Championship — or, more realistically, to have a winning record, the man under center will be vital to their success.
Through four weeks of spring ball, quarterback play has been less than stellar. Wilson and Adam Schulz have had different camps, and Wilson doesn’t have the starting job cemented just yet.
At Saturday’s scrimmage, Wilson finished 10-of-21 for 71 yards with one touchdown and an interception. A week prior, he went 11-for-25 with two interceptions and a touchdown.
“We made too many mistakes on offense, and that’s definitely my fault,” Wilson said Saturday. “That one interception I wish I would have taken back. We just didn’t execute as good as we wanted to, and that’s on me.”
Because of Wilson’s lack of consistency throughout camp, Schulz, who many assumed would be this year’s backup, has had plenty of first-team repetitions. Schulz was 7-for-11 with 50 yards on Saturday but also had a pass picked off.
“It wasn’t our best scrimmage,” Schulz said. “We might have came out a little flat. We got to make the right reads and the right calls. We got to execute. The burden is on us.”

Sophomore quarterback Adam Schulz during a scrimmage April 13. The Utes are looking for a quarterback that can improve upon their 5-7 record in 2012. Brent Uberty / The Daily Utah Chronicle
Sophomore quarterback Adam Schulz during a scrimmage April 13. The Utes are looking for a quarterback that can improve upon their 5-7 record in 2012.
Brent Uberty / The Daily Utah Chronicle

Though Schulz threw a pick on Saturday, he has exceeded expectations this spring while Wilson has failed to solidify himself as the starter. In Utah’s first scrimmage, Schulz threw for more yards on fewer pass attempts than Wilson and connected on one more touchdown.
“Both [Wilson] and [Schulz] are learning, but we need them to make a few more plays than what they were able to make today,” said Utah head coach Kyle Whittingham on Saturday.
Because he hasn’t been pleased with the overall play of the offense during the spring, Whittingham said the competition between Wilson and Schulz is as close as can be.
“[The competition is] very tight, neck and neck,” Whittingham said. “Travis has the edge due to his experience last year, but it’s all about what you have done lately. The experience comes into play if it’s too close to call, but that’s not going to be the overriding decision. You’ve got to produce, and they’ve both had good days and average days. [Saturday] was a pretty average day.”
While there is a competition for the starting spot, Wilson and Schulz said there is not a personal rivalry between them. It’s all about what makes the team the best it can be.
“[Schulz] has been practicing really good lately,” Wilson said. “He definitely deserves to have some of the first-team reps. It motivates me to do better. I got to keep it up.”
Schulz said there is no tension between the two.
“Me and [Wilson] are close,” Schulz said. “We hang out. We’re friends. It’s not like we’re going to bad-mouth each other to get an edge. It’s a healthy competition, and that’s what we need for this team.”