Washburn has high hopes for NBA Draft

S-Washburn_MG_2291Utah basketball is officially looking to the future.
On June 6, former Runnin’ Ute Jason Washburn participated in a workout with the Utah Jazz as it prepares for the NBA Draft on June 27. He was joined by five other draft hopefuls.
“I walked away with a good feeling about it,” Washburn said. “I think a lot of the coaches are looking for players to work hard and I feel I did that. [Jazz head] Coach [Tyrone] Corbin told me personally that I played really hard and had a lot to be proud of.”
However, Washburn isn’t satisfied and recognizes how competitive the NBA Draft will be. He isn’t widely considered to be a prospect who will hear his name called on draft night. He feels confident in his post game but admits that to compete at the next level, he must become more versatile. He aims to improve his game away from the basket and become a better ball handler, especially in taking players off the dribble.
“The workout also showed me the things that I can still improve on,” Washburn said. “My goal now is to get as many NBA workouts as I can and try to get the draft to go my way. If it doesn’t, I’ll get picked up in the summer league and try to get an opportunity there. My focus is to stay in shape and be game ready at all times so that if a team calls and needs me somewhere, I can be there and be ready.”
Over his five seasons with the Utes, Washburn was one of the few consistent positives in what some consider the most difficult stretch in Utah basketball history. He played for two different head coaches, in two different conferences and with an astounding 55 different teammates. Through all of the changes, Washburn continued to improve, posting better numbers each season and becoming known for his high energy and passionate style of play.
Washburn finished his senior season with career-high averages of 11.9 points and 6.8 rebounds per game. He posted a team high 1.5 blocks per game and shot 82.9 percent from the free throw line. He received honorable mention honors from the Pac-12 and joined Utah’s 1,000-point club.
Through all of the personal accomplishment, his team’s success last season made Washburn the most proud.
“We were picked last in the Pac-12. Our last couple of games picked us up and we got the 10 spot. Then obviously our run in the tournament was very significant and a lot of people took notice,” he said. “I’m the most proud of how we finished as a team.”
Washburn takes little personal credit for his team’s success down the stretch last season.
“I couldn’t have achieved anything on my own,” he said. “Coach called the plays, my team gave me the ball. I just did the easy part and executed.”
Looking back on his college experience, Washburn recognizes that his passion for the game has helped him come this far.
“Being a college athlete takes a lot of heart and passion and the fact that I was able to do it, survive it and hopefully succeed in it, that’s not just something you can brush off,” he said.
It is that same passion Washburn hopes will attract the attention of an NBA team during the draft. But no matter what happens that night, anyone who has seen Washburn play is confident that the game of basketball has not seen the last of him.

• W

Walt TachikiOct 28, 2013 at 12:16 pm

I admired your loyalty and dedication to the program and may you succeed in your future endeavors thank you for being a great Ute!!!.

• W

Walt TachikiOct 28, 2013 at 12:16 pm

• I

Injury Attorney in UtahJun 25, 2013 at 6:39 pm

Good luck to Jason in the NBA draft. And if that does not work out there’s opportunity overseas.

• I