Be wary of gluten-free diet trends

Riddle: What do mustache logos and gluten-free diets have in common? Answer: They’re both unnecessary fads. However, the only downside to mustache logos is that they’re stupid and tacky, while gluten-free diets, if gone about improperly, can deprive the body of nutrients and increase consumption of empty calories.
There are some people who need to eat gluten-free or reduced-gluten diets out of medical necessity. People with Celiac disease will suffer intestinal damage and other autoimmune problems if they consume any amount of gluten, and they should avoid it at all costs. People with gluten allergies or sensitivity would do best to avoid gluten, but it wouldn’t be the end of the world if they had it in moderation.
The problem is when healthy people go on a gluten-free diet before consulting their doctor because they think it’ll cure any vague symptoms they have. A recent survey done by a market research company called the NPD Group found that 30 percent of people they surveyed wanted to reduce gluten in their diets.
Eating a gluten-free diet requires cutting out whole grains. Whole grains have fiber, B-vitamins, zinc and other nutrients. Although it is possible to get those nutrients from other sources, people who eat gluten-free diets have to be much more conscious about balancing out their diet with other foods that are a good source of said nutrients.
It is relatively easy to get the vitamins and minerals from other sources, but most people’s main source of dietary fiber is whole grains. Dietary fiber is important for intestinal health and prevention of colon cancer. It regulates blood sugar, and increases the volume of the food eaten without adding calories.
Legumes and some vegetables are also good sources of fiber, but they are not as common in the average American diet. Those who go gluten-free without consulting a doctor are more likely to neglect the necessary research into other ways to obtain the missing nutrients.
Often, overweight people will lose weight after starting a gluten-free diet and falsely credit the weight loss to cutting out gluten. In reality, many desserts, pies, cakes, candy bars and pastries contain gluten. Cutting out junk food, whether or not it contains gluten, goes a long way in helping people lose extra pounds.
Another reason people go on gluten-free diets is because they think it will help generic symptoms such as headaches and tiredness. Although sometimes general malaise is indicative of a more serious condition, it is more often caused by stress or lack of sleep.
Nothing is inherently unhealthy about eating food that doesn’t contain gluten, but getting rid of it completely is less healthy for people who don’t have a reason to do so. People who have reason to believe they have Celiac disease or a gluten sensitivity should see a doctor to find out for sure, and people who want to go on a gluten-free diet should be discouraged unless they do have one of those conditions.
If they decide to anyway, they need to consult with a doctor or a nutritionist to find out the best way for them to replace fiber and other nutrients. More importantly, however — all fad diets should be taken with a grain of salt.

• D

DanielbmcSep 16, 2013 at 8:18 am

Thank you for this. Diet faddists hear that some people are allergic to glutens therefore glutens are bad. In reality if you’re not allergic or sensitive to glutens there is no dietary advatage to going gluten free.

• D

DanielbmcSep 16, 2013 at 8:18 am

• A

anonSep 16, 2013 at 7:42 am

While I think the author’s intentions are good, I have some serious issues with this article.
    The comment about people with sensitivities and allergies being able to eat
    gluten “in moderation” is wholly irresponsible. I cannot have gluten
    “in moderation”, unless I want my stomach to bloat out two to three
    times its normal size, spend half my day running back and forth between
    the bathroom, and be unable to sleep because it feels like someone is
    taking a cheese grater to my intestines.
    Gastroenterologists and other specialists still have a lot to discover about celiac, gluten sensitivity, and other related autoimmune disorders, meaning that there
    are a lot of us out there without the firm diagnosis that the author
    seems to believe is necessary for a strict gluten-free diet.
    If students feel better on gluten free diets without having to be subjected to a battery of colonoscopies, blood tests, and other expensive and time-consuming medical tests, they should be able to do so without having to incur the judgment of someone who doesn’t understand what they are going through.

• A

anonSep 16, 2013 at 7:42 am