Soccer: Offense corrects errors, improves

Katie Taylor, junior midfielder, edges out a defender from Uc Davis on Sep. 13, 2013.  Utah went on to tie the match 2-2.  //Chad Zavala
Katie Taylor, junior midfielder, edges out a defender from UC Davis on Sep. 13, 2013. Utah went on to tie the match 2-2. //Chad Zavala

Head coach Rich Manning said before last weekend’s matches that the team’s attacking third had not been good enough. If that was meant to be a challenge to his offense, they certainly answered the call. After scoring just two goals in their first four games, Utah’s offense has come alive.
In their last three games, the Utes have scored a combined 12 goals and suddenly their offensive struggles are looking like a thing of the past.
“[Scoring] feels awesome,” forward Ashton Hall said. “We are doing so much better making runs for each other up top and everything else.”
Team captain Allie Wisner led the attack that generated chance after chance last weekend, helping the Utes remain unbeaten at home. Wisner has scored in the Utes’ last three games and Manning has taken notice.
“Allie [Wisner] is scoring and is playing the way we envisioned,” Manning said. “She’s doing a better job in filling her role.”
The Utes are communicating on the offensive end and making better decisions with the ball. The Utah attack has featured aggressive runs into the box and on point crosses that have created goals and scoring chances.
Hall and Baylee Nielsen have also helped turn Utah’s offensive struggles around. Over the weekend, Nielsen made strong runs that put pressure on the opposing defense and Hall displayed a cannon of a shot.
Against UC Davis, Hall drilled the cross bar twice and just missed the frame several other times with powerful shots. She was finally able to find the back of the net with a strike against the Wildcats on Sunday.
“Baylee had a good weekend, she looked sharp and aggressive,” Manning said. “Ashton Hall, having her back out there, she’s starting to make an impact as well as some other people but those guys for sure contributed in us attacking better.”
The trio have combined for eight of the Utes’ 14 goals this year, but Utah’s recent offensive outbursts seem to be the result of team effort. The Utes have had seven different players score for them in the last three games.
Midfielder Katie Taylor is tied with Wisner and Nielsen for the team lead with three goals and reserve forward Ali Forsberg struck her first collegiate goal on Friday. Midfielder Avery Ford and defender Jenny Hutton have also scored for the Utes. Utah also has nine different players with assists.
“I know other people were hitting posts and getting crosses off so it’s all about the team,” Hall said. “We’re getting the wins and protecting our home field so that’s what matters. As a whole we are doing awesome in pushing up as a group and attacking as a group”
Through an early season scoring drought, Utah stayed optimistic about their offense. They had three straight games where they failed to record a goal, but the players never lost confidence in their ability to score.
“I think it was there,” Wisner said. “We had great ideas the first games, but we have some young players so we’re just getting used to playing together and getting it all done … I wasn’t worried.”
The Utes will hope to continue their offensive ways when they play Utah State Friday at Ute Field. Kickoff is at 7:30 p.m.