Campus student groups deserve tuition cut

Sally Yoo.
Sally Yoo.

School started just a couple of weeks ago, and the big talk has been about tuition rates. One thing that the U has not done but should consider doing is offering a tuition reduction for students who are members of certain university groups, such as music groups and athletic teams. Doing this would not only benefit students but the university as a whole.
While many groups and teams already receive generous scholarships, most of those are from private donors and have little to do with the U itself. For example, according to associate athletic director Elizabeth Abel, the 85 football players on scholarship all receive those scholarships from private donors.
Also, beginning last semester, each member of the University of Utah Chamber Choir receive a $1,000 dollar scholarship each semester from a private donor. The interesting and almost unfair thing about that, however, is that the scholarship amount the choir receives — though extremely generous — covers tours and the choir members’ concert attire with only a little bit left over. The scholarship fails to cover tuition, books, fees, or room and board, meaning that most choir members are spending a large amount of money for school even though they spend a great deal of time as ambassadors for the school itself.
The U needs to realize that each member of a group that bears the U’s logo is an ambassador for the school. If the students play well or perform well, then the U looks good, which brings in more money. What the U should also realize is that students who are tired and over-worked will have a harder time performing or playing well, which reflects poorly on the school.
While the school has little control over the course load students take or the outside activities in which they engage, it does control the amount of money it requires these students to pay for tuition. Giving students involved in university groups and teams a tuition reduction would allow them to perform better, which will reflect positively on the school.
Another benefit to this set-up would be increased positive press for the school, which in turn would attract more students. This would help negate any kind of monetary loss that the school sustained from the program. This program would also encourage students to get involved with school groups, with the same benefits.
While all groups should be considered for this type of program, not all groups should be given the same discount. For example, the football team’s scholarships cover tuition, books, and room and board. Their traveling expenses and most of their gear are also funded. These students need less assistance than the music groups, many of which receive little to no private donations. The amount deducted should be based on need. For students that already have tuition covered, the U could provide another type of reduction in fees or could provide a small stipend to cover living costs.
Although the U should provide students who are members of certain groups with a tuition reduction or other comparable compensation, it should not be left unmonitored. As with many scholarships or educational funding, the U should require students to maintain a certain GPA and, obviously, current membership in an approved group.
Paying for school is hard. What makes it harder is giving up hours of time that could be devoted to a full-time job in order to be a part of the U’s student groups. The students who participate in these groups deserve some sort of compensation for the hours spent rehearsing and performing under the U’s name. Providing a tuition reduction for these students would be a great way for the U to support these students so they can help bring in more talented and dedicated students to the U each year.