Football: Honeycutt contributes to victory

Senior defensive back Mike Honeycutt sack's BYU quarterback Taysom Hill for the second time during the game played on Sept. 21 2013 in Provo. — Chad Zavala
Senior defensive back Mike Honeycutt sack’s BYU quarterback Taysom Hill for the second time during the game played on Sept. 21 2013 in Provo. — Chad Zavala

“Who is Mike Honeycutt?”
This is the question that started to murmur through the BYU press box during last Saturday’s game. It’s understandable that some members of the media had never heard Honeycutt’s name before. After all, the rivalry game against the Cougars was the first time the senior defensive back had ever started a game for the Utes.
Except unfamiliarity wasn’t the reason for the question. People were asking because Honeycutt’s big defensive plays were demanding attention. Almost halfway through the first quarter, he sacked BYU quarterback Taysom Hill for a loss of 10 yards.
Later during the same drive, Honeycutt stuffed Hill again on a rush attempt for a loss of three yards. Honeycutt finished the night with five tackles as part of the Utah defense that succeeded in keeping Hill in the box, which didn’t allow him to control the game with his running ability.
“Hats off to the defense. We all did it together,” Honeycutt said after the game. “We had a good game plan going in. I had the chance to use my ability and my skill to come off the edge, and I’m grateful for the opportunity I had. I came off free and made some big plays.”
At the age of 25, Honeycutt is one of the oldest players on the Utah squad. He, like Trevor Reilly, Junior Salt, Sean Fitzgerald and Westlee Tonga, signed with the Utes and then served a two-year mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
To give a little perspective on just how long Honeycutt has been with the program, picture this: when he first committed to play at Utah in 2007, current quarterback Travis Wilson was just 14 years old and still in middle school.
Honeycutt returned from his mission and began playing in 2010. He appeared in 10 games on special teams, recorded 11 total tackles and blocked a punt against San Jose State that was returned for a Utah touchdown. In 2011 and 2012, he added a combined eight tackles from his play on special teams.
Although he did not see much game time on defense, Honeycutt’s speed and work ethic in practice were known to be valuable. Honeycutt, who recorded a 4.40 40-yard dash time, is one of the fastest players on the Utes’ defensive squad.
He was excited that his first start came in his last game against the
rival Cougars.
“It was great to get the nod to start in such a big game,” he said. “[The Holy War] comes down to the last play every year. I knew it was going to be like that coming in … we were prepared for that.”
Utah head coach Kyle Whittingham noted that Saturday’s win meant his seniors will finish their college careers undefeated against BYU. He was proud of the defensive play that made that fourth consecutive win possible and especially that unit’s toughness down the stretch.
“Our defense was outstanding, particularly in the red zone,” Whittingham said.
As for Honeycutt, he could hardly stop smiling immediately following the victory in Provo, and for
good reason.
“I thank God for the ability he’s blessed me with and for the opportunity that I had today,” Honeycutt said. “To be honest, I’m really excited. It was a fun game to win, especially for me and my teammates going out as seniors … there’s nothing better than this feeling right now.”