Soccer: Hard-fought game ends in draw

Jenny Hutton, senior defender, in a game against Oklahoma on Sep. 22, 2013.  // Brent Uberty
Jenny Hutton, senior defender, in a game against Oklahoma on Sep. 22, 2013. // Brent Uberty

The Utes came into their Pac-12 conference opener against No. 11 California hoping to show that they are a legitimate contender for the conference crown.
Consider that goal accomplished.
Utah outplayed the Golden Bears for the majority of Friday night’s game, earning a 0-0 draw.
“We played a fantastic game, we really did,” said Utah head coach Rich Manning. “We were unfortunate not to get one in.”
Manning said before the game that he wanted to control possession to keep Cal’s potent offensive attack in check. His team answered the call. A strong effort from the back line and midfield kept the ball away from the Bears’ forwards for most of the night, making scoring chances few and far between for the visitors. Cal finished the night with just two shots on goal.
Starting Utah defender Monica Okapal was out with an injury and Jenny Hutton stepped in to help the Utes back line control the game.
“It’s been an adjustment that last week or so [with Okapal out] and with the fire power up front,” Manning said. “They played fantastic.”
Utah midfielder Katie Rigby complimented the back line following the game.
“We have two amazing center backs. [Megan Trabert and Hutton] are so good,” she said. “I would trust them with my life. They are always going to be there, they are unstoppable back there.”
From the kickoff, the Utes were the more aggressive team, getting a chance from Allie Wisner and earning two corner kicks within the first 10 minutes.
The best chance of the first half for the Utes came in the 40th minute. Kaycee Buckley sent a shot that appeared to beat Cal goalie Emily Kruger, but was blocked away by the defense.
The Bears put together their best attack in the 89th minute. Cal sent a free kick from just past midfield into the box where Ifeoma Onumonu fired a shot that ricocheted off the crossbar.
Buckley had a chance to win it for the Utes with three minutes to go in the second overtime when she got behind the defense. Seemingly surprised that she was onside and wide open, she sent the shot wide.
With two minutes remaining, Wisner chased a ball that was sent back to Cal’s goalie. Wisner collided with the Bears’ keeper and sent a shot wide.
The Utes realize that they played a great game, but would have rather earned a win. The team now has five draws in 10 games.
“It’s frustrating that we keep tying all the time,” Rigby said. “But we played amazing soccer tonight and you can’t really be frustrated with that.”
Manning said that the team played its best game of the season in terms of possessing the ball and passing. The Utes had little reason to be disappointed with the draw.
“We want to stay positive because we have made so many strides,” Manning said. “It’s just a little play here or there.”