Women’s basketball: Utes step up to fill big shoes

Danielle RodriguezThe Utes lost some key players to graduation after last season. The team is searching for suitable replacements at guard after Iwalani Rodrigues and Rachel Messer wrapped up their collegiate careers.
Rodrigues was fourth on the team in scoring last season with 425 points and was second in steals. Messer was fourth on the team in scores and had the top three point efficiency.
Utah has to find a way to fill those roles with sophomores Danielle Rodriguez and Paige Crozon. Rodriguez has the most experience at guard after seeing significant playing time last season. Crozon also has experience, but is not able to play because of signs of a concussion from last season.
Rodriguez knows it’s time for her to step up in her role.
“It’s leadership on the court now,” Rodriguez said. “Since I know what I am doing now, I can help the younger girls. On my part it’s the leadership with the younger girls and making sure they understand.”
Rodriguez finished the season with 94 total points and finished fourth on the team in rebounds with 113. Her career-high games included a 12 point performance against Colorado and snagging 9 rebounds against Oregon State.
Head coach Anthony Levrets expects other players to step up this season as well. He will be looking for Ciera Dunbar and Cheyenne Wilson to have a big year.
“They are experienced,” Levrets said. “[Wilson] started a bunch last year. Played multiple positions as a sophomore and had a really great offseason. I expect her to have a good year.”
Fresh faces
Five freshmen joined the Utes this year and are competing for playing time.
Coming out of high school, players must first learn the motion offense, which was an emphasis during the open practice Tuesday. Rodriguez remembers making the transitions last season.
“I think they are learning,” Rodriguez said. “I know I struggled my freshman year, and this year is the same. They are going to struggle, but it’s coming along.”
With so many new players, Levrets needs the freshman group to adjust quickly and become contributors immediately.
“Our whole goal is that they are comfortable with who they are early,” Levrets said. “Once we start practice, then it’s getting comfortable in the system, then figure out how to use their strengths in our system. So the sooner they understand the system, the sooner they will contribute using their strengths.”
All-American Canadian
Michelle Plouffe will return for Utah this season. The senior forward from Edmonton, Alberta was named Sporting News Preseason Third-Team All-American in September. Plouffe has been named to the Associated Press Honorable Mention All-American for the past two years and also has multiple All Pac-12 honors.
“It is an honor definitely,” Plouffe said. “Just to be on a list of players in the whole country is really cool.”
Plouffe finished last year leading the team in points, steals, blocks, rebounds and free throws made. But her status does not increase the pressure on Plouffe.
“I’m not really concerned about pressure from that,” Plouffe said. “It’s more of just being a senior. This is my last year. Leading the team and doing well in our league is more what I’m concerned with for the moment. That just comes along as kind of a nice extra bonus.”