On the Other Sideline: USC head coach Ed Orgeron

// Courtesy Peter Read Miller.
// Courtesy Peter Read Miller.

USC football has been making headlines for years with its dominant play on the field. This season the team has gotten plenty of attention, but it has been more about turmoil off the field than dominance on it.
Head coach Lane Kiffin was fired after starting the season 3-2 (0-2 Pac-12). The factors that influenced the sudden decision and the way Kiffin was unceremoniously let go gave sports analysts enough to talk about for weeks.
Meanwhile, amidst all the Hollywood drama, defensive line coach Ed Orgeron took over as interim head coach and was given the weighty task of turning the Trojans’ dismal season around. According to some of the players who know Orgeron best, he is just the man for the job.
“Honestly, since the change we’ve been able to play more loose and have more fun while we’re playing the game,” says USC senior Devon Kennard, who plays both outside linebacker and defensive end. “We’re not playing so tight and afraid to make mistakes. It’s made us enjoy the game more and it makes us want to play hard and win games for him.”
Orgeron, known as “Coach O” to his team, is known for building close relationships with players and promoting a fun atmosphere. Since he became head coach almost four weeks ago, the team has a different theme to each day’s practice. Last Tuesday was “Competition Tuesday,” the day of the week when players especially “get after it,” according to Orgeron.
“We wanted to lighten up a little bit, have a little fun. These guys have been through a lot,” says Orgeron. “I’ve gotten really close to these guys. I recruited most of them and we just want to let them know how much we care about them.”
Kennard, who had Orgeron as a position coach, says the whole team’s attitude has been influenced positively by Orgeron’s coaching style.
“Coach O hasn’t changed at all. It’s kind of awesome for everybody else on the team because they get to experience what we on the D-line get to experience all the time,” Kennard says. “The biggest change is that his energy and his enthusiasm get to be broadcast to the entire team instead of just one unit.”
While the team’s collective attitude may be in a better place, it remains to be seen how much attitude translates to performance. Since taking over, Orgeron is 1-1, losing 14-10 against Notre Dame last week. Injuries have also plagued a USC roster already made thin by NCAA sanctions that cost the Trojans 30 scholarships over the last three years.
Tomorrow, USC hosts the Utes in Los Angeles. Both teams look to secure their second conference win of the year. Despite the adversity, the Trojans have high hopes for this game as well as for the rest of the season.
“We still have all the opportunity in the world,” says Kennard. “We still have a chance to win the Pac-12 South, go to a Pac-12 championship and potentially a Rose Bowl. As long as that potential is still there, that’s our goal. We know we have the talent on the team to make it happen.”