Football: QB inefficiency results in debacle at USC

Quarterback Travis Wilson is sacked during Saturday's 19-3 loss to the USC Trojans at the Coliseum in Los Angeles. — Conor Barry
Quarterback Travis Wilson is sacked during Saturday’s 19-3 loss to the USC Trojans at the Coliseum in Los Angeles. — Conor Barry

LOS ANGELES—After a dismally slow opening on offense last week against Arizona, it did not seem the Utes could have a worse start against USC on Saturday — but they did.
In the first half of play at the Coliseum, Utah’s only score came on a 42-yard field goal by Andy Phillips that barely wobbled its way through the uprights. That score gave the Utes a 3-0 lead with 10:45 left in the first quarter. The lead, along with any offensive production from Utah, quickly disappeared. The Utes would not score the rest of the contest, marking the first time since 2010 that Utah finished a game without scoring a touchdown.
The passing game was nonexistent for the Utes through all four quarters. Travis Wilson, who was questionable after leaving the Arizona contest with a hand injury, wore a glove on his throwing hand and started the game at quarterback. Wilson had some big run plays, but completed only five passes on 14 attempts for 51 total passing yards. Worse than his lack of completions, however, was his poor decision-making. Wilson threw two interceptions and lost a fumble that was recovered by the Trojans.
Wilson, who is one of 33 Ute players from Southern California, suited up in front of many family members and friends, but said doing so did not add pressure or affect his game negatively. He was visibly dejected after game’s end and accepted responsibility for the loss.
“I just wasn’t making throws today, and I definitely put this whole game on myself,” Wilson said. “I wasn’t playing well enough. I needed to make better throws and better decisions. Having that [few] receptions, that just isn’t going to win football games.”
Wilson was taken out of the game late in the second quarter because of his turnovers, and with 20 seconds left in the first half, Adam Schulz took over at quarterback. Ironically, Schulz’s first play of the game resulted in an interception that was returned 54 yards and set up another USC field goal a play later as the clock expired before halftime.
“It’s not a good feeling,” Schulz said. “It’s certainly frustrating because we work way too hard to not put up points. It was just a lack of execution … If [Travis and I] don’t perform well, then the offense can’t operate.”
Schulz finished the game 7-of-17 for 79 total yards with one interception. Overall, the Utes finished with four turnovers. The Trojans had zero.
Utah head coach Kyle Whittingham credited USC’s defense for causing many of the deficiencies in his team’s offense, but he also admitted that a lack of efficiency at the quarterback position was a major factor in the Utes’ last two losses.
“Big question of what we’re going to do now quarterback-wise, and we have to answer that question,” Whittingham said. “That’s what a coach’s job is, to try and get that figured out and get it corrected.”