Football: Reilly gains wisdom, focus

Senior linebacker Trevor Reilly celebrates after forcing a fumble during the game against USC last weekend.    //Chad Zavala
Senior linebacker Trevor Reilly celebrates after forcing a fumble during the game against USC last weekend.
//Chad Zavala

Early this week Utah’s Trevor Reilly was named as one of 12 semifinalists for the Butkus Award, which honors the nation’s best linebacker at the high school, collegiate and pro levels.
Reilly, who made some noise last year with a team-high 69 tackles and 4.5 sacks, was placed on the award’s watch list in July. Through eight games this year, Reilly has already matched his 69 tackles from last year and has 5.5 sacks for 41 yards lost. He has also forced three fumbles and recovered one.
With those kinds of stats, the announcement of Reilly as a semifinalist came as no surprise. What is truly astounding however, are the circumstances surrounding Reilly’s great play. Last year, Reilly played through the pain of a torn ACL and had a standout season. This year, he has had to play through something he says has been, “the hardest experience of my life.”
This past May, Reilly’s youngest daughter Shayn was diagnosed with Kidney cancer. Shayn was just eight months old at the time. After discovering a softball-sized tumor, doctors performed immediate surgery to remove her left kidney.
Reilly, along with his wife Jessica, did not know what to expect. Fortunately, the surgery went well and doctors were able to completely remove the tumor. A feature video on Reilly and his family’s experience aired recently on the Pac-12 network and details Shayn’s ongoing chemotherapy treatments.
So far, baby Shayn has handled chemo well, and currently is healthy and happy. For Reilly, the news of the Butkus award paled in comparison to that fact. “I’m just really happy my daughter has been doing well. That has been the number one thing in my life,” said Reilly.
As to his achievements on the field, Reilly feels that his daughter’s battle with cancer has given him greater focus. “This off-season and a little into this season I haven’t had as much time to devote towards football because of my daughter being sick,” Reilly said. “But the weird thing is the time I have had, I’ve spent much more wisely… If you’re busy, you’re more effective. It’s made me more focused.”
Reilly, who said he’s lowered his missed tackles and missed assignments this season, has certainly seemed focused. He’s led the Utes’ defense to some impressive performances including holding USC to just 30 rushing yards last week.
“Trevor continues to make an impact for us on a weekly basis and to be one of 12 guys on that list still remaining is an honor for him, but it’s well deserved,” said Utah head coach Kyle Whittingham.
The Utes will need big plays from Reilly now more than ever coming into the final four games of the season still two wins shy of qualifying for a bowl game. The winner of the Butkus Award will be announced on Dec. 10, but for now the award is far from Reilly’s mind. His increased focus is set on one thing.
“I’m going to do the best I can as a team captain and a player to get us to a bowl game,” Reilly said. “Am I going to guarantee it? No, but I’m am going to give everything I have and hopefully take us there.”