Travis Wilson out for season, possibly career

Travis Wilson carries the ball to the goal line at Rice Eccles Stadium.  The Utes lost to ASU 19-20.  Photo by Conor Barry/The Daily Utah Chronicle
Photo by Conor Barry/The Daily Utah Chronicle

The atmosphere at the Utes’ weekly press conference Monday was somber, not because of Utah’s loss at Oregon over the weekend, but because head coach Kyle Whittingham announced that starting quarterback Travis Wilson will be out for the rest of the season, and possibly longer.
After Wilson underwent a neurological exam following a concussion he suffered versus Arizona State 10 days ago, doctors discovered an intracranial artery injury that could end the sophomore’s football career.
“Could very well be career-ending. We won’t know for certain for several months,” Whittingham said. “Travis is a tough, competitive kid. He’s very upset by this obviously and disappointed to say the least … We’re gonna miss him, but the most important thing is his long-term health.”
Bowl eligibility is still within reach for the Utes with two must-win games on the horizon, but the severity of the news surrounding Wilson caused worry about football to take a backseat to concern about his health. Though his football career could be over, Whittingham indicated that Wilson’s condition is not life-threatening, though continuing to play could exacerbate it.
The silver lining is that the concussion Wilson suffered against the Sun Devils led to the discovery of his injury. Whittingham said that had Wilson continued to play without knowing of the problem, more severe problems could have arisen.
As Utah prepared to face the Ducks last week, no one had any indication that Wilson would not be making the trip until Whittingham heard the news Thursday afternoon. Wilson’s teammates remained unaware of the severity of his condition until Monday morning.
“I actually heard about this a couple hours ago and my initial reaction was, aside from football, I don’t think he deserves that, to have that setback, especially because he’s always laughin’ and jokin’ around,” said Utes’ safety Eric Rowe. “I didn’t suspect anything except maybe a concussion, so when I heard this it kinda hurt. He didn’t deserve it, but I guess that’s just the game of football.”
Tight end Jake Murphy said he was one of the first players to have an indication that Wilson was suffering from more than just a concussion.
“Travis is telling everyone on the team today,” Murphy said. “I know they kind of kept it under wraps for a little bit. I talked to Travis last week, just kind of a life talk about what his situation is and I think the team is really gonna just come around him and help him out in this situation. Despite what people think, football isn’t life and Travis is gonna move on and get older.”
This is not the first time Utah has faced adversity away from the field this year, and Whittingham said this season might be edging out 2012 as the most difficult of his career. However, he always finds a way to rally his troops and his players say they respect him for it.
Sophomore Adam Schulz made his first career start last Saturday against Oregon and will be taking the snaps for the remainder of the season. He’ll be looking to his head coach for guidance the rest of the way.
“Coach Whitt talks about how football is just a small part of your life,” Schulz said. “You have so much more to live for once football is done and you kinda have to weigh that and see what you value. Is it worth putting your life on the line? … [Whittingham] was such a great competitor when he played. He instills that in us. He doesn’t get down on us. He keeps us goin’ and even after a loss we just come back ready to go. There really is no other option.”