Utes strategize for triple wins this weekend

Sophomore forward, Jordan Loveridge, drives to the basket at the Huntsman Center.  — Photo by Chad Zavala
Sophomore forward, Jordan Loveridge, drives to the basket at the Huntsman Center. — Photo by Chad Zavala

Basketball junkies will be in for a treat this weekend when Utah hosts the three-team Global Sports Hoop Showcase Thursday through Saturday at the Hunstman Center. The showcase will feature Grand Canyon, Lamar and Savannah State along with the Utes. Every team will get a crack at one another as they all will play a different opponent each night.

“Hopefully we have enough depth,” said Utah head coach Larry Krystkowiak. “Guys should know going in there’s going to be ample opportunities for them to have effect for us in one of the three games if not more.”

In their first two blowout victories, the Utes have not needed to play their starters’ extended minutes, and their bench has proved capable. With the depth on the bench, Krystkowiak doesn’t plan on restricting minutes just to rest for the next game.

“We need to figure out a way to win the first game and do what we think is necessary against Grand Canyon,” Krystkowiak said. “A lot of it is yet to be determined. Guys should know there is going to be minutes.”

Utah will face Grand Canyon (1-2), coached by former Phoenix Suns star Dan Majerle, on Thursday night. The Antelopes will be riding high coming off their first win of the season, a 91- 41 victory over Western New Mexico. Grand Canyon center Killian Larsen has been performing well with two straight double-doubles.

On Friday night, the Utes will take on Lamar. The Cardinals (0-3) come into the showcase looking to get their first win of the season. Lamar is led by forward Donovan Ross and guard Nimrod Hilliard, who have both scored double digits in all three of the Cardinals’ games.

The Utes will close the showcase with a Saturday night matchup against Savannah State. The Tigers (2-3) have won two of their last three games but dropped their last game to North Florida 66-63. Savannah forward Jyles Smith is a threat on both ends of the floor. In the Tigers’ last outing, Smith had 14 points, nine rebounds and four blocks.

“It’s gong to beat us up, but I think were in shape to handle it,” said guard Brandon Taylor. “It shouldn’t be something ridiculous, we should be good.”

This early season tournament is Krystkowiak’s brain child. He feels that playing three straight games poses a challenge both mentally and physically and helps strengthen the team. In the future, he hopes this tournament will evolve into something more.

“One of things we are talking about is trying to get something in the Energy Solutions Arena, a multiple team in-state tournament,” Krystkowiak said. “I have had some discussions with [athletic director] Dr. [Chris] Hill about it, and he has reached out to the athletic directors, and it’s something moving forward that I think would make a lot of sense. It sure would be great for all the parties.”

Lamar and Savannah State will kick off the showcase on Thursday with a 5:00 p.m. tip. That game will be followed by Utah and Grand Canyon at 7:30 p.m.