Football: Utes look to final game for win

Senior defensive back Mike Honeycutt hits USC quarterback Cody Kessler Saturday Oct. 26 at the Coliseum in Los Angeles, Calif. Photo by Chad Zavala/The Daily Utah Chronicle
Senior defensive back Mike Honeycutt hits USC quarterback Cody Kessler Saturday Oct. 26 at the Coliseum in Los
Angeles, Calif. Photo by Chad Zavala/The Daily Utah Chronicle
This week marks the final week of practices in what has been a tumultuous season for Utah football as the Utes prepare for a Colorado game that, in reality, holds little significance. A general feeling of regret surrounds the team.

A few Utah seniors may have the chance to play football professionally, but the majority of this group will play the final football game of their careers this weekend in Rice-Eccles Stadium.

“It’s a disappointment knowing that this year we should have accomplished a lot more than we did,” said senior defensive back Mike Honeycutt. “It’s going to be surreal playing at home one last time. When you’re young you take it for granted, but then when that day comes you don’t expect it. It’s going to be bittersweet, definitely.”

Honeycutt, who has made a definite impact this season on defense, is one of the seniors to peak in their final year of play. He has posted the best numbers of his career by far this year with 26 tackles and three tackles for loss. Although grateful for the opportunity to perform well this season, Honeycutt can’t help but feel that something is missing.

“I feel like this year we’ve worked harder than any other year I’ve been here,” Honeycutt said. “We’re definitely closer as a team. The struggles and adversity have made us that way. We’re like brothers and family, on and off the field, and that’s why it hurts even more this year because I feel like I’m playing with my family out there.”

Other Ute seniors, such as wide receiver Phil Hinson, haven’t had the same opportunities to make an impact on the field. Hinson was a walk-on in 2011 and saw action in one game that year. He then served a two-year mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and rejoined the team early this fall.

Hinson has spent this season as a scout player, helping starters prepare each week for opponents. He has not played in a single game this year. According to Hinson, the hard work has been well worth it for the relationships he will carry forward.

“I think of the hours we put in together in summer conditioning and winter lifting,” Hinson said. “That’s where bonds are made, where the hard work is put in that no one else sees. That’s what I’ll take away. The bond we have … When I first came onto the team I didn’t know anybody. Now the friends that I’ve made I know will stick with me the rest of my life. I would take a bullet for some of these guys.”

Trevor Reilly, who has put up huge numbers this season at defensive end/linebacker, is one of the seniors who will look to find a place on an NFL roster next year. Reilly has seen firsthand the great success that Utah football has had in recent years and is beyond disappointed with the legacy his senior class will be leaving behind.

“Yeah, it stinks to be a loser, man,“ Reilly said. “I’ve never been one to take away moral victories from anything in this life … When you don’t do what you’re supposed to, and you don’t come through in life, you just don’t win. That’s the reality of the situation.”

Reilly and the rest of the Ute seniors will look to finish the season with a home victory this Saturday against the Buffaloes and snap a five-game losing streak.
“I don’t want to be the senior class to go 4-8,” Reilly said. “5-7 still isn’t good, but it’s a lot better than 4-8.”