Women’s basketball: Utes stave off the Wolfpack 61-57

Freshman forward Nakia Arquette takes a shot against Denver at the Huntsman Center. The Daily Utah Chronicle File Photo.
Freshman forward Nakia Arquette takes a shot against Denver at the Huntsman
Center. The Daily Utah Chronicle File Photo.
There’s no question that the Utes have struggled throughout the season in the second half of games, and that continued Saturday at home against Nevada. After leading by as many as 12, Utah allowed the Wolfpack to get within two late in the game. Unlike previous games, however, the Utes were ultimately able to stave them off and earn the victory.

Trailing 59-57 with 13 seconds to go, Nevada was forced to foul in an effort to extend the game. Michelle Plouffe made the first free throw but missed the second. Emily Potter got the rebound and was promptly fouled. The freshman also sank just one of two to make the score 61-57, but the Wolfpack ran out of time as the Utes claimed victory by that score.

“We missed shots, turned the ball over a little and they made shots and got some free throws,” said Utah head coach Anthony Levrets of Nevada’s second-half run.” I don’t care what that stretch was like. I care about what the end was like, and we got just enough stops and just enough rebounds to win the game. It’s a work in progress and I’m really proud of our effort tonight.”

Levrets ought to have been especially proud of his team in the first half, as it seized the advantage in multiple categories. In the opening 20 minutes, the Utes shot 48 percent from the field compared to 36 for the Wolfpack. They also outrebounded Nevada 22-16 and racked up 10 assists compared to just six for the Wolfpack.

Even though Utah started to struggle offensively in the second half, the strong rebounding remained as the Utes finished the game with a 43-35 edge in that category. In addition, Utah stayed stout defensively as Nevada shot less than 34 percent on the afternoon.

“Defending and rebounding is the most important thing that you can do in a basketball game,” Levrets said.” You cannot control everything on the offensive end, but we managed to win a basketball game because we defended and rebounded.”

Defense and rebounding became particularly crucial after halftime as the Wolfpack made defensive adjustments that the Utes struggled to adapt to, and Nevada began to chip away at the lead. Over a four-minute span midway through the second half, the Wolfpack cut a 12-point deficit to just three. During that period, Utah committed three turnovers and missed two 3-pointers. For the frame, the Utes shot just 35 percent from the field.

“We were about as bad as we could be offensively in that second half,” Levrets said.” Some nights that just happens. Nevada did a really good job switching up defenses that messed with our young team. We missed a bunch of shots that we normally make.”

In the end, though, defense won as the Wolfpack shot just 33 percent in the second half.

“What has been really bothering us the last few games is not being able to defend, and we defended and got enough stops down the stretch,” Levrets said. “This team needs to grow defensively. We are going to be fine most nights offensively, and this was a big step for us.”

Four Utah players finished the contest in double figures. Nakia Arquette and Potter led the way with 12 apiece while Plouffe and Ciera Dunbar each scored 10.

The Utes moved their record to 3-4 on the season and will next face UVU on Wednesday at the Huntsman Center. That game is scheduled to tip off at 7 p.m.