Men’s basketball: Quick start key to success for Loveridge

Sophomore forward Jordan Loveridge takes a shot over an Idaho State defender at the Huntsman Center last night. Photo by Chris Ayers.
Before Tuesday’s game against Idaho State, Utah forward Jordan Loveridge was struggling to rack up points in the first half of games. Although he has been the team’s leading scorer, he’s been developing a bad habit of procrastinating his offensive contribution until the second half.

This trend dates back to the second game of the season against UC Davis, when the Aggies held Loveridge scoreless in the first half and has continued over the last couple weeks. In the first half against Boise State last week, Loveridge only scored three points and last Saturday against Fresno State he once again produced a goose egg in the opening stanza.

Things changed on Tuesday when Loveridge finally got going early. He scored 12 points in the opening half against Idaho State to put the Utes in a position to complete the second half comeback against the Bengals.

“Early on I was just more aggressive,” Loveridge said. “The last couple of games I wasn’t aggressive in the first half. I feel like it’s a mindset and just getting to the rim early. If you settle early for jump shots it’s tough to get going, unless you’re making them. But if you get to the rim and get to the line that helps a lot.”

That is exactly what Loveridge did against Idaho State. He attacked the middle of the floor and many of his points came on drives through the lane.

“[In previous games] I just wasn’t that aggressive, I wasn’t looking for shots for me,” Loveridge said. “I think against Idaho State it just opened up that early. There were more shots for me to take, so I took them.”

To his credit, Loveridge has been able to respond in the second half of most games this season and has produced some dominating closing performances.

Utah head coach Larry Krystkowiak chalks up the early struggles from Loveridge and others on the Utes to a lack of energy.

“I think everybody’s got ups and downs, but we have had guys that didn’t have great energy,” Krystkowiak said. “Jordan did have three straight games that it was a little confusing where that energy was.”

Krystkowiak said that he didn’t want to be to critical of Loveridge or anyone else on the team, citing that they are all young and still learning. He also mentioned that with finals coming up, players are focused on more than just basketball.

The Utah coach thinks that Loveridge’s struggles early in games can prove to be a learning experience for both him and his teammates. He wants his team to compete in every aspect of the game and do so at all times, not just when they are finding success on the offensive end.

“He missed a couple shots that he thought he should make but that can’t be where you’re going to hang your hat and have your identity,” Krystkowiak said. “You have to go get some loose balls and get some rebounds and make some things happen.”

With Loveridge’s opening half performance on Tuesday, the Utes are hoping that the opening half blues are a thing of the past.

“I am really happy that he bounced back well last night, so we could quit talking about some of that,” Krystkowiak said.