Red Rocks amp up the competition

Chris Ayers
Freshman Baely Rowe competes on the beam at last week’s meet at the Huntsman Center. Photo by Chris Ayers.

Through all of the challenges the No. 4 Red Rocks have faced on beam in 2014, there is one aspect of the event that helps them get through their set at each home meet.
Utah has developed a tradition of having each gymnast choose a song that plays during their routines at the Huntsman Center. When freshman and leadoff beam worker Baely Rowe competes, for example, Beyoncé’s “Love on Top” can be heard blaring over the public address system. As Rowe performs, it’s not only Beyoncé who is singing.
“I like to sing during my routines so I don’t think,” Rowe said. “I really love Beyoncé. I know all the lyrics to that song, and it’s a good beat for moving through my beam routine.”
While Rowe picked a song that she could probably sing at the drop of a hat, some gymnasts pick songs that motivate them. Kailah Delaney’s choice of R. Kelly’s “The World’s Greatest” falls into this category.
“I have always loved that song, and it’s always been my favorite,” Delaney said. “Plus, I think it’s a very positive song, so while I’m on beam and I do hear it, it just makes me feel good. It’s a feel-good song. It makes me more confident.”
Sophomore Breanna Hughes, a big country music fan, went with a simple approach to deciding her beam song in her freshman year. She just grabbed her iPod and looked to see what song she played the most. Sugarland’s “Little Miss” was the one, and it’s still her song of choice when she competes on beam.
“I asked some of the girls what they thought of this song, and they all thought it was a perfect fit for me,” Hughes said. “It’s a perfect pace for beam. The slower songs like this one are really relaxing, and [I] can get into a groove with it.”
While the Red Rocks have found a comfort zone playing the songs at home meets, they don’t have the luxury on the road and won’t have it on the biggest stages — regionals and nationals. In preparation for that, Rowe has created a plan so she can still have Beyoncé with her.
“I have been practicing in the gym singing the song with different music in the background,” she said. “Or if I hear a song I like playing in another gym on the road, I’ll just sing that.”
Delaney said the team has been training to get used to any situation possible, such as floor music starting in the middle of a routine or competing in silence.
“Sometimes we practice without music, and sometimes we’ll practice with loud music,” Delaney said. “We’ve always just done different instances just so you’re ready for anything.”
Utah has developed a sort of home-arena advantage using songs to help it compete on beam, and it’s a tradition to some, but not all other teams have adopted.
“Some teams that have a following, [that] have some people in the stands, have done it,” said co-head coach Megan Marsden. “It helps, but I try not to let them feel like they can only do it with their beam song. It’s kind of just the icing on the cake.”