‘We’ve got to find a way to win’

Michelle Plouffe drives to the basket at the Huntsman Center on Sunday. Photo by Erin Burns.
Utah once again couldn’t catch a break.
Tied with Washington at 60 apiece Sunday at the Huntsman Center with 3:58 remaining, the Utes couldn’t make plays down the stretch and fell to the Huskies 67-66. Utah was outrebounded 49-36, but it was the disparity at the foul line which left head coach Anthony Levrets most frustrated.
“Obviously I am really disappointed with the loss,” Levrets said. “We competed and battled, but once again, just another facet of the game that we struggle with. We put them at the free throw line 24 times, and that was the difference in the game.”
Washington shot 19-of-24 from the charity stripe while the Utes produced a meager three-of-five on freebies en route to their fifth consecutive loss. They have now lost three games by three points or fewer on the season.
Levrets decided to switch up the starting lineup, as four freshmen began the game with sophomore Danielle Rodriguez.
As soon as Michelle Plouffe entered the game, the senior began to dominate. For the second contest in a row, she scored 31 points, and she also hauled in 14 rebounds for her 12th double-double of the season. During the game, Plouffe became Utah’s all time leading rebounder and also moved into fourth place on the school’s all-time scoring list.
“I definitely would have traded [the accolades] for a win,” Plouffe said. “Not that I do not want to be on those lists, but I like to win more than I like awards.”
Utah actually held a seven-point lead midway through the second half, but its defense began to give out as Jazmine Davis and Kelsey Plum brought the Huskies back. Washington took the lead with 5:27 remaining. Down the stretch, Davis and Plum carried the Huskies to victory.
“We gave them buckets on defense and we could not afford to give those to them,” Plouffe said. “We gave them easy baskets and put them on the line again. When they score and when the clock stops, that is hard to come back from.”
Plouffe was the only Ute to finish in double figures. Ciera Dunbar scored nine points and junior Cheyenne Wilson finished with eight. Rodriguez and freshman Emily Potter combined for just 13.
Up next for Utah is a road trip to take on the Arizona schools this week. The Utes will play the Arizona Wildcats on Friday and Arizona State on Sunday.
“We’ve got to find a way to win these ones,” Levrets said.
Friday’s contest will begin at 7 p.m. MT.