Staff looks back on successes of the year

Chris Ayers
ASUU marketing director Carmen Gold speaks at the State of ASUU yesterday in the Hinckley Caucus Room.

The Hinckley Institute of Politics hosted the annual State of ASUU address Tuesday afternoon.
ASUU staff members Scott Thatcher, Sam Ortiz, Sara Seastrand, Kendahl Melvin and Carmen Gold focused on what student government at the U has accomplished this academic year.
“When we came into office, we had four platforms we were focused on that I would like to break down: sustainability, inclusivity, diversity and transparency,” said Ortiz, the ASUU president.
He said success in these platforms is shown by the Recycle Rice-Eccles program and ASUU’s coordination with the LGBT Center and the Bennion Center on events.
Ortiz also spoke about transparency within ASUU.
“Transparency is really about accessibility,” he said. “We post budgets online and market what we’re doing so students really know what’s going on in ASUU.”
Gold, ASUU’s marketing board director, said ASUU has had an impact on her life and can for other students as well.
“As I leave this year, I can see I left my own small impact by getting the word out and getting students to events,” Gold said.
She said her time in ASUU taught her things she would have been unable to learn in a classroom setting.
Blake Giove, a junior in business administration, said there were pros and cons to the State of ASUU address.
“I was pleased with how well the current president and vice president were able to explain the system to students in a way we can understand,” he said. “But I was disappointed in their not having much of an idea of the far future.”
Each speaker in the forum spoke of the importance of student involvement. Seastrand said getting involved on campus has benefits beyond the academic realm.
“It’s important so you can get an education that extends beyond the classroom,” she said.
Ortiz also made sure to address the fact that he, Seastrand and other ASUU officials still have time left in office until the semester ends in April.
He said ASUU will be hosting many upcoming events from the showing of “Bridegroom” on Thursday night to a showcase for many a capella groups in Utah to annual events such as The Grand Kerfuffle on April 19.
“We are where we are because of who came before us and we realize that,” he said. “And we hope the work we’ve done this year will carry on next year.”