New paths to improve accessibility

A student walks past the construction site on the south side of the Union on Tuesday morning. Photo by Dane Goodwin.
A small inconvenience now could mean a world of change in the future.
A fence encompassing the area between the Union and OSH surrounds a new construction project to make the sidewalks more accessible under the Americans with Disabilities Act.
While there is a staircase that leads from the base of the Union to the upper level, no similar pathways exist with ADA access. This project is designed to change that.
Eric Browning, a facilities planner at the U, said this particular part of the campus has needed attention for years.
“The university gets so much money each year to improve physical facilities, and a certain amount goes to pathways,” Browning said. “[This project] made it back on to the list this year.”
While the issue has been raised repeatedly before, budget constraints have pushed the project to the back as a priority. This year, the U decided to focus on two larger projects: the Union pathway project and another project that will provide easier access along Campus Drive.
The new design will feature a zigzagging walkway for easier access from the lower part of the hillside to the upper south entrance of the Union. Browning said the project went through several conceptions before the current design was decided upon.
“This specific [plan] has been in the works a little over a year, but this is an issue the university has struggled with for over a decade,” Browning said.
While the project may cause students a minor inconvenience now, Browning said he is sure the project will pay off down the road. He said it will create much-needed ADA access for the area and improve the campus as a whole.
Andrew Hancock, a junior in biology, said he feels the new project will ultimately have a positive effect on the campus.
“Everybody needs equal access to our campus,” Hancock said. “Obviously, this project will make the campus more accessible and easier to get around.”
The project began earlier this month and will continue to develop as weather conditions make further construction possible.