Student Jonesin’ for Jobs

(Chris Ayers)
(Chris Ayers)

The Union Ballroom was filled with bustling freshman looking for jobs on Wednesday.
This year the U hosted more than 100 organizations to table at the Student Job & Volunteer Fair to talk with students, particularly those just beginning college, and give out fliers and information about how to find a job on campus.
Leslie Bolton, the student employment coordinator for the U’s Career Services, has helped host the job fair for the past eight years.
“This is a great opportunity for students to look for work while still in school,” Bolton said. “We provide opportunities for internships, part-time jobs and volunteer experiences that could be paramount in setting these students apart from other job applicants once they graduate.”
The purpose of the fair is to provide freshmen with connections to jobs and volunteer work they might not hear about otherwise. Bolton said it also connects employers to students who would make great employees.
Organizations at the job fair included the American Red Cross, CityGro, Snowbird Ski & Summer Resort, Comcast, the Peace Corps and Wasatch Community Gardens. There were also 10 organizations from U’s campus, such as the Utah Museum of Fine Arts, Kingsbury Hall and the Hinckley Institute of Politics.
Jet Vellinga, a freshman in computer science and mechanical engineering, attended the fair after seeing it advertised on posters around campus.
“I like finding ways to get involved and take on new experiences,” Vellinga said. “It’s a chance to explore things outside of my major.”
Vellinga is still unsure of the career path she would like to take after graduating but said her end goal is to return to a university setting as a professor one day.
Dianne Duncan, a senior in education, helped table for the Kostopulos Dream Foundation after working with them in Milcreek Canyon at Camp K, a place for children with disabilities. Duncan said the Kostopulos Dream Foundation has provided her with more insight into her future career.
“Working at Camp K was the exact thing I needed to gain clarity on what I want to do with my life,” Duncan said. “It truly has been a life-changing opportunity in shaping my perspective on working with kids with disabilities and just how rewarding it can be.”
Although most organizations at the fair had tabled at the U in previous years, there were a few new ones.
Orphanage Support Services Organization tabled for its first year after finding out about the fair online through the U’s website. Andrea Lott from volunteer outreach with OSSO said the main purpose of the organization is to help meet the developmental needs of impoverished children in Ecuador.
“We are looking for all types of students [to volunteer],” Lott said. “Especially those who really just love children and want to make a difference.”
Career Services puts on a similar job fair each spring for students looking for summer work. A more formal career fair also happens annually each spring and is geared toward graduating seniors looking for employment after college.
@katrinavastag