The Great Debate:

[vc_row][vc_column width=”1/2″][vc_text_separator title=”The numbers say they should be” title_align=”separator_align_left” color=”grey”][vc_empty_space height=”40px”][vc_column_text]
Last week, before the Utes dismantled Michigan at the Big House, I mentioned how I wouldn’t be surprised if Utah got its first loss in Ann Arbor. After being at the game in person and suffering through over two hours of rain delay, I can confidently say the Utes are not just having a good start to their season, but that they belong on the list of Top 25 teams in the country.
Looking at the numbers, it’s an easy argument: This squad should be ranked. Offensively, Utah is 16th in the nation in passing yards per completion with 14.98 yards per catch, helping them rank 10th in passing efficiency. A lot of that has to do with the improved play of quarterback Travis Wilson, who ranks third nationally in passing efficiency. They may not be flashy, but the Ute offense gets the job done.
While the offense has put points on the board, the defense has also played its part, which was evident in the game on Saturday. Utah is second in the nation and leads the Pac-12 with five sacks per game and ranks second in tackles for loss with nine per game.
The Utes are also 20th in the nation in turnover margin with the help of last weeks’ three interceptions and one fumble recovery. In 2013, Utah only had three interceptions the entire campaign, which goes to show the improvement of the secondary.
Let’s talk about possibly the best unit of the team, the special teams. The unsung heroes of every football team deserve a huge chunk of credit for the success that the Utes have had so far, starting with their kicking game. Utah’s punter Tom Hackett pins opponents within their own five-yard line seemingly every time, while placekicker Andy Phillips has hit five of six field goals this season, including a 51-yarder in the win over Michigan last week. We also need to mention Kaelin Clay, who has had six returns between kickoffs and punts and took half of them to the house.

Now, those are the numbers, the facts. But if you still don’t buy it, compare Utah to some of the teams currently in the top 25 rankings.
Before the season began, Utah’s schedule was dubbed the toughest schedule in all of college football, according to ESPN Insider Brian Fermau. After getting through the first three games unscathed, the Utes will have to deal with a whole different monster when they start Pac-12 play.
Not only does Utah start conference play against a Washington State squad that nearly upset Oregon last weekend, but it also has to worry about future games against UCLA, Stanford and Oregon, just to name a few.
Now, I’m not naming any names, but there is a certain program in the state of Utah that is currently ranked with a schedule not nearly as daunting as the one the Utes have to deal with.
I just can’t help but look at this team and think we are going to see a much bigger surprise. This team is good and certainly among the best, and it is not too early in the year to say that.
My vote is in. Let’s watch as the season unfolds for the Utes, as they rise in defiance of doubters, as well as in the polls.
Brandon_Barlow

@brandonbarlow64[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][vc_column width=”1/2″ css=”.vc_custom_1411498503329{background-color: #f2f2f2 !important;}”][vc_text_separator title=”They’re not there yet” title_align=”separator_align_right” color=”grey”][vc_empty_space height=”40px”][vc_column_text]

After a convincing road victory at Michigan, the momentum for Utah is the greatest its been since its first season after joining the Pac-12 conference.

It just seemed to be the Utes’ day on Saturday. However, the great performance by the Utes poses a number of questions, one of them being whether or not this team is a legitimately ranked squad.
While I believe they will be ranked later on in the season, I don’t think the Utes should make the list just yet.
I know they are 3-0, but the toughest part of the schedule is yet to come. Even the conference-opening matchup with Washington State will prove to be harder than Michigan since the Cougars nearly beat Oregon over the weekend.
On top of that, Utah hasn’t had the best luck against Pac-12 foes. The Utes have finished 2-6 and 3-6 against Pac-12 teams in 2013 and 2012 respectively, so really, we should all wait until this team gets a few conference games under its belt before jumping to any conclusions.
It all starts this weekend when Utah hosts Washington State in the Pac-12 opener. Last season, the Cougars put up 49 points against the Utes behind the performance of quarterback Connor Halliday. The last thing Utah wants to do is get into a shootout with this team, and that is exactly how Washington State plays.
After the Cougars, the schedule only gets tougher for the Utes. The next games will be against UCLA, Oregon State, USC, Arizona State, Oregon and Stanford in consecutive weeks. Utah lost to each of those teams last season, with the exception of its upset of then-No. 5 Stanford. It’s no wonder Utah has what has been called the toughest schedule in the nation.
While I see them losing a few of those games, I do believe the Utes have the chance to surprise some people and get a few victories along the way. If the Utes can hang on against Washington State and then beat Oregon State, I predict their record will generate a top-25 ranking.
Rankings probably don’t matter to the players, but to the fans, it is a huge deal. A ranking would give the team more confidence than it already has, because Utah hasn’t been ranked in a long time.

As previously stated, this team has started strong, but they don’t deserve to be ranked just yet. The Utes have started strong the last two seasons as well, and how did those seasons pan out? Some would argue that the win at the Big House is good enough to warrant a ranking, but let’s be honest, this isn’t the same Michigan team it once was. They’ve already been embarrassed on two occasions, arguably three, and they’ve only played four games.
I don’t mean to take away from what Utah accomplished. The Utes went into a hostile environment and looked like the dominant team. I give them a lot of credit for that, but when you break down this year’s Wolverines, it’s not as impressive as some think.
Give the Utes a few more weeks to see what they can do in the rough patch of their schedule, and then maybe these three victories can create a monster.
For now, however, I don’t think the top teams in the Pac-12 consider this Utah team a threat.
ian smith 2

@ISmithAtTheU[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column width=”1/1″][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column width=”1/1″][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column width=”1/1″][/vc_column][/vc_row]