Loveridge leads Utah over Pacific in exhibition game

S-Moops Preview

On a night that saw new renovations, new players and new uniforms, it was a familiar face that made noise in Utah’s season tune-up, exhibition game against Pacific.
Wing man Jordan Loveridge scored 20 points on 7-for-11 shooting as the Runnin’ Utes cruised to an easy 98-38 victory over the Boxers on Thursday night in the Huntsman Center.
Loveridge was also perfect from three-point range, going 4-for-4 on the night. The junior attributes his hot shooting in this game, as well as the Night with the Runnin’ Utes scrimmage, to a minor change he made in his shot over the summer.
“(Shot) has just been more consistent, all the around” Loveridge said. “Some games I’d be able to shoot good, some games it be off, just because my shot was inconsistent. I think with the little change, it’s been more consistent even when I’m just working out, taking shots with my dad.”
The game was never in question and it wasn’t so much about getting the win for Utah, but more so about figuring out what works and what doesn’t for the Utes. Head coach Larry Krystkowiak opted to use the lineup of Delon Wright, Kenneth Ogbe, Jordan Loveridge, Chris Reyes and Jakob Poeltl to start the game, but mentioned how that is subject to change throughout the season.
“It’s not anything to pencil in and think that it’s necessarily gonna’ last,” Krystkowiak said. “There’s a lot of guys that can play and there’s going to be some reward, if starting is considered a reward, for having good weeks of practice and I think we’ve got a little bit of versatility with our lineup.”
Playing in their first games as Runnin’ Utes, both Jakob Poeltl and Brekkott Chapman had impressive debuts in a Utah uniform. Poeltl, who did get the start tonight over veteran big man Dallin Bachynski, nearly recorded a double-double, registering 9 points and 11 rebounds. Additionally, the seven-footer contributed three blocks to the team’s 10 blocks on the game.
Poeltl tried to downplay his blocking prowess, but Loveridge is looking forward to seeing the center compete against other opponents.
“Nah, he’s going to block everything,” Loveridge said of going against Poeltl in practice. “I only shoot three’s. I don’t go in there.”
Chapman, a Utah native, had to settle some nerves playing in his first collegiate game, but finished with a stat line of 14 points on 6-for-8 shooting, 5 rebounds, 2 blocks and a steal. Chapman looked poised on the court for a freshman, backing up the hype surrounding the former Roy High standout.
“The first two minutes of the game, I was joking with (Chapman) because it looked like he was absolutely paralyzed, just kinda dazed and confused,” Krystkowiak said. “He kind of knocked the rust off and had a good evening.”
The season officially starts for Utah on Nov. 14 when Ball State comes into the Huntsman Center. However, Krystkowiak and company claim they have a lot of work to do before the season opener.
“I don’t feel very good about the season starting, to be honest,” Krystkowiak said. “We’ve got a heck of a long way to go and it’s all cliche kind of stuff. Just some things I was thinking about tonight while watching that game that we’re really gonna’ have to get dialed in.”