Utes hope to end disastrous season ‘on a high note’ against Buffs

— Chris Ayers

It’s not a secret the Utah soccer team has had its problems this season. A win Friday against Colorado won’t erase the struggles, but it would end the season on a positive.
“We want to end the season on a high note,” said head coach Rich Manning.
The Utes’ first half of the season was the best in program history. The second half has been the complete opposite. Even if Utah wins their final game, it will be the worst record the team has had since Manning took over.
“I think the word ‘desperation’ is probably a good adjective for the last couple weeks, and maybe that didn’t help us,” Manning said. “Maybe, I think, the team in general wanted it so bad that we weren’t making composed decisions on the field or plays that we would maybe normally make.”
He also admits that the team has been struck by an abnormal amount of bad luck, referring to the number of injuries the Utes have sustained. Manning was planning on having nine returning starters at the beginning of the season. Those plans never came to fruition.
When it came time for the first game of the season, he only had seven, and before conference play started he lost another two.
Manning is quick to point to his 2012 squad, who also had their fair share of struggles, but bounced back the following season to earn an NCAA Tournament berth.
This season is turning out to be worse than 2012, and Manning wants his team to take lessons away from the season.
“It’s behind us, I think we’ve learned from those things, and we’ll be better for it, and I think it will help us on Friday,” Manning said.
The biggest thing Manning wants his side to learn from this season is that anything can happen.
“Every game is hard,” Manning said. “We have to prepare ourselves in the offseason for the mental and physical aspects of the roller coaster. I think we’ll be able to learn from that. With all the challenges we’ve had this year, it’ll do nothing but make us stronger.”
The one thing that Manning has liked seeing from his team is the amount of energy they bring to each game. He hopes that continues Friday against the Buffs.
“I think going out on the road, it’s always important to bring the proper energy to the game, and also the beginning of the game is important,” Manning said. “You don’t want the home team to get a lot of momentum.”
Freshman Natalie Vukic is one of those players who will get a chance to learn from this season and improve for next. She knows how hard the season has been, but she predicts this final game will be an important one.
“It’s just been hard lately,” Vukic said. “We’ve been wanting it so bad, and it gets to the point where it builds up. I think this last game is going to be when hell breaks loose. It’s our last chance, and I’m hoping that everyone comes out with the same mentality.”
Even with the post-season out of sight for the Utes, this final game is still a significant one.
“Colorado is probably fighting for a berth with this game,” Manning said. “So we know there is a lot at stake.”
Utah will get a chance to play spoiler.
The game is scheduled for a 12 p.m. MT start in Boulder, Colo. Pac-12 Networks will be televising the game.

@dominic2295