Bennion Center Hosts “Issues and Action” Luncheon

(Photo by Kiffer Creveling)
(Photo by Kiffer Creveling)

Cynthia Fleming never thought she would be where she is today.
Fleming, the executive producer of Salt Lake Acting Company, tried a couple of professions before ending up with the theater group.
“I was a dancer and an actor,” she said. “I expected to win a Tony, but never in my wildest dreams did I expect to run my own theatre company.”
Fleming, along with SB Dance director Stephen Brown and SLAC associate producer Shannon Musgrave, was a panelist at the “Issues and Action” luncheon, hosted by the Bennion Center on Thursday. Gina Russo, an organizer of the event, said the emphasis of this particular lunch was to introduce students to different perspectives.
“We want students to see and hear that it isn’t always a straight shot,” she said. “You don’t always know what you want to be when you grow up.”
Community members, usually professionals at the U, are invited to be panelists at these luncheons, Russo said. This luncheon focused on the arts and their influence on the community. Panelists shared experiences of their passion and how they were able to weave what they love into their profession.
Brown, the owner of his own dance company, had previously pursued an interest in molecular biology, but said he chose the arts because they offered a unique path.
“A career in the arts is not straightforward,” Brown said. “There’s a lot of competition and long hours for little pay, but it allows you the most freedom and creativity, especially in this community.”
Fleming has done everything from dancing in “A Chorus Line” to being a makeup artist at Bloomingdale’s. She said what she learned in both jobs is still relevant to what she does today.
“Every profession I’ve had [has] given me vital skills,” Fleming said. “My background in the dance and theatre are essential to what I do now, but without my job in retail, I would have no people skills.”
Musgrave had initially intended to continue theatre after college but didn’t want to limit her opportunities. She now works as the associate producer of Salt Lake Acting Company.
“I’m grateful I get to do something that works both parts of my brain,” Musgrave said. “I get to perform and do what I love, but I also run the budgeting and different analysis. I would have never imagined doing that before.”
Shirley Luo, a senior in biomedical engineering, said even though she isn’t directly involved in the arts, she could relate to what the panelists said.
“It’s comforting to hear that they went through something that is similar to what I’m going through now,” Luo said.
This was the second out of the three lunches the Bennion Center will host this year. The third luncheon will be held on Feb. 3, 2015.
@cynthia_luu