The Great Debate: Can Utah win out with Travis Wilson at QB?

[vc_row][vc_column width=”1/2″][vc_column_text]

Wilson’s poor decision-making could cost Utah 

DominicGarciaMug

Sitting at 7-3 after its win over Stanford, Utah has already surpassed the expectations of many this season. The question is no longer whether this team is legitimate or not, but whether it can finish the season on a high note.
With only two games left in the season, I don’t see how Travis Wilson and the Utes can come away with wins against both Arizona and Colorado.
Wilson has been in and out of the starting position the entire season, mostly because of his decision-making with the ball. In Utah’s next game, Wilson will have to face a strong Arizona defense that slayed an offensive giant in Oregon. The Utah offense has been relying too much on the defense and special teams, and that might come back to bite them against the Wildcats.
Wilson was a hopeful savior for the Utes when he took over the starting position. There have been times when he has fulfilled his role, but for the most part, he has been a slight disappointment. Just because Wilson has been working with this team for three years doesn’t mean he can lead them to wins in the next two games. His poor decision-making is his biggest weakness, and I believe it will be his downfall.
Fans who watched the game against Michigan know what the consequences of his decisions can be. Honestly, Wilson is lucky he isn’t paralyzed from the frightening hit he took against the Wolverines. While he has improved this season protecting the football, do I need to point out his six-interception game against UCLA last season? Maybe that won’t ever happen again, but I feel like it’s just a matter of time before Wilson throws some errant picks in the closing games.
After the tough win over Stanford, Utah has a lot of work to do, especially since the Wildcats are the only team to beat Oregon this season. You remember the Ducks, the team that scored 51 points against the Utes? Arizona held arguably the best offense in college football to just 24 points. With the offense Utah has, I don’t see Wilson being able to score much at all.
A large part of how Wilson is able to move his team down the field is by handing the ball to Devontae Booker. He is used in the Ute offense so often that Booker will definitely be the Wildcats’ and Colorado’s biggest focus. That turns the pressure onto Wilson’s arm, which can really only throw the occasional long ball.
Wilson has been lucky enough to have an incredibly strong defense and special teams supporting him all season long, but the offense cannot rely on those two to win games. Both of those slates can’t be won if the offense does not score points.
I see Wilson only being able to lead his team to one more win. Unfortunately for Utah, it will have to fight for that eighth win against the Buffs. Wilson’s lack of good decision-making is a serious threat to our team, and I believe Arizona is too good to fall to Utah.
Nine wins on the season is wishful thinking.

@dominic2295[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][vc_column width=”1/2″][vc_column_text]

With experience and help, Wilson is capable of leading Utes

BrandonBarlowMug

People don’t know what to think of Travis Wilson this season. They just don’t understand why he is playing the way he is. In a couple games he was so ineffective with his play that they just pulled him out.
Before the season began, Utah quarterbacks coach Aaron Roderick said the primary goal to help Wilson become the No. 1 guy is for him to not be a reckless player. No more trying to force things down field, no more taking unnecessary hits while running, and no more turnovers. Despite what he has been through, it has been working.
With two games left in the regular season against Arizona and Colorado, Utah has a chance to match its conference win total over the last two years. Is Wilson capable of helping Utah beat these two teams? The old him — most likely not. But this new Wilson most certainly can.
If we compare the numbers of sophomore Wilson to those of junior Wilson, the turnovers stand out the most. Last year, every touchdown pass he threw was matched with an interception, finishing the year with 16 touchdowns and 16 interceptions.
This season he has thrown two interceptions to his 13 touchdown passes, which is good enough for a 6.5-1 touchdown to interception ratio. Only Oregon, one of the best teams in the country, was able to grab his two picks.
This change has not come around because of Wilson alone. The coaching staff has finally figured out how Utah works best. Give the ball to the running back, a guy who is built to get hammered with 20-plus carries, and don’t risk your quarterback, who does not have blazing speed or power. Wilson’s long legs are capable of covering ground when they need it most, but not every other play. Instead of making the quarterback the offense, duties are shared so Wilson does not have to take a beating.
Wilson has also proved that, when it comes down to taking on the big cannons of the conference’s best, he is able to step up. Was it the right move to bench him against UCLA due to ineffectiveness? I used to think so. But after instrumenting a game-winning drive against USC in the final minute and tossing the touchdown passes that helped Utah get past Stanford last week, I am not so sure.
Wilson could not win the close games before, but now he has become probably the most dependable and, dare I say, Utah’s most stable player. With guidance and help carrying the load, Wilson has taken his experience as a starting quarterback and actually learned from it. He knows how much his play can be detrimental to his team, but Utah should look at this season and imagine what it would have been like had it not been for Wilson.
Wilson doesn’t have to shine to show he is winner. If he and the rest of the team do their jobs, the Utes win. Defenses can’t really stop conservative effort because it isn’t supposed to do much damage to them, but when you look at the close games for Utah this year, you’ll see that Wilson has done just that to his opponents — damage.

@brandonbarlow64
[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]