Adams: For the sake of the seniors, Utah needs one more “magical moment”

— Conor Barry

For obvious reasons, Utah needs to win its game on Saturday against No. 15 Arizona. The Utes still have a slim chance, albeit almost “Dumb and Dumber” slim, to grasp the Pac-12 South title, and it all starts with them beating the Wildcats at home this weekend.
However, there’s another reason Utah should win this game — a loss just wouldn’t be fair.
This season has been a roller coaster of emotions for Utah fans, but was it not entertaining? People around the country may look at Utah’s 7-3 record and not even think twice about it, but here in Salt Lake City, there is much more to this team than just its record.
This team provided dazzling kickoff and punt returns by Kaelin Clay. It brought punts that Tom Hackett seemed to control with his mind at times. It gave fans game-winning touchdown throws by Travis Wilson and gut-checking kicks from Andy Phillips.
But the Utes have also brought heartbreak. They surrendered a flukey loss to lowly Washington State. They couldn’t get a win in an overtime game that slipped away from their grasp and the Oregon game left fans wondering “what could have been.”
Utah has seen its fair share of ups and downs this season, but one thing that is for certain is that this has been a magical year.
Earlier in the season, I wrote a column that this is the most boring, but entertaining team in all of college football — and I stick by it. Last week, Utah played Stanford to a 7-7 tie by the end of regulation, as the game saw many three-and-outs and no offense. I have to admit, to most, this was probably the most boring game in the world.
But thanks to Hackett’s punting prowess and the defense’s ability to get to opposing quarterbacks in its sleep, the game was still fun and worth watching.
The reason it wouldn’t be fair for Utah to lose tomorrow’s game to Arizona is because this team and this fan base has been through too much this season. From the close losses to the key injuries, the Utes have been knocking on the door the entire way. How could they end this special season with a home loss that would eat at the departing seniors for quite some time?
It just wouldn’t be right.
There’s no way safety Brian Blechen will get beat deep in this game. Sorry, Solomon Anu, but you better make yourself comfortable on the ground because Nate Orchard will be in your grill all game. Oh, and that Arizona special teams unit better be ready for Clay, who I’m willing to bet will take one to the house in this one.
This team cares too much about each other and its seniors to lose to the Wildcats. It won’t be a blowout, but the Utes will make sure they give their seniors one more magical moment.

@GriffDoug