Gymnastics: Wilson not letting injury get to her, fans show support

this is an image

It wasn’t by choice, but Tory Wilson has given up her life of tumbling and flipping for one filled with rolling and scooting. The senior gymnast, who suffered season-ending injuries performing on floor at the Pac-12 Championships, isn’t giving up one thing though — her contagious smile.

RELATED: RED ROCKS FACE BIG TASK IN REPLACING WILSON

Just a week after having surgery to repair her right Achilles and a lisfranc fracture in her left foot, Wilson was at the Red Rocks’ practice, sidelined in a wheelchair, but ever optimistic.

“I’m not too bad considering various things,” WIlson said with a smile. “The past week has been the hardest adjustment, just figuring out how to do everything, but now that I have the basics down, things should be a little bit easier, and normal I guess.”

The basics she spoke of included figuring out just how to get around. As someone who has made a name for herself performing things that most people can only dream of doing, the difference has been a little bit of a challenge.

“There’s been a lot of scooching, I’ve been holding up my legs and going on my arms,” Wilson said. “I go somewhere and I take break and then I sit around for awhile.”

Wilson has also taken to crawling a lot, which has caused her knees to bruise. To solve that problem she has invested in knee pads to give her knees some cushion.

Even with the difficulty of moving from place to place, Wilson isn’t planning on staying away from her team.

“I would like to be here as often as possible,” Wilson said. “I’m still part of the team and I would like to feel that way and be here for everybody.”

She is also still repping her school. Wilson was offered a power scooter to help her get around, there was a small problem though — it was blue. She turned it down and now has a red one.

Remembering the incident

Wilson said that in the week leading up to the Pac-12 Championships, her Achilles started acting up. She had gone through practice on Monday and Tuesday without any trouble, but at the end of Wednesday’s training, things didn’t feel right.

“It just felt weird,” Wilson said of her Achilles. “It didn’t hurt, it just felt weird. I was comforted by the fact that it didn’t hurt, but apparently that’s what was not the good sign.”

Wilson said that team had taken care of it but she did have a bad feeling about it. She conveyed those feelings to Corrie Lothrop, who told her everything was going to fine, but sadly they weren’t. On a take-off during her first floor pass, she heard her Achilles rupture.

“I heard it pop in the air, so I knew it, and then there’s nothing you can do at that point,” Wilson said. “You’re going so fast it was just a matter of how and when you’re going to land.”

Wilson’s muscle memory took over and she completed the flip sequence, and landed with all the pressure on her left foot, causing her left foot to break. She also tore a muscle, which the doctors removed, in her right calf.

Wilson said that Lothrop was just being a good teammate and doesn’t place any blame on her for the situation.

“She told me what I wanted and needed to hear,” Wilson said. “She says she feels bad and I’m sure she does, but I don’t want her to. There’s nothing she could have done that would have changed that. It’s going to happen anyway whether it was in the meet, or practice or whenever it was.”

Outpouring of support

In the training room of the Dumke Gymnastics Center, there was a stack of cards and letters offering encouraging words to Wilson as she recovers.

Following the injury, the Red Rocks shared on their Facebook page the extent of Wilson’s injury, and gave fans an avenue to send her good wishes. Those fans took advantage.

“I have gotten so much support and so many messages and nice words, from people that I never have met, and have just followed the program,” Wilson said.

Wilson stated that the sizable stack was just a small sample of the notes that she has received, and as of Monday, there have been 221 comments on the Facebook post wishing Wilson well.

Here are some of those posts:

Ireener Reener: “Tory, I’ve been following Utah gymnastics for more than 20 years. You’re one of those gymnasts who stands out as more than just an incredible athlete. Time and again the camera would catch your smile and convey it to the jumbotron and it always made me smile, too. Best wishes on your recovery and thank you for sharing your talents [with] your Utah fans.”

Karina Girón: “Tory, you are everything I love about NCAA gymnastics: beautiful gymnastics, positivity, sportsmanship, and a lot of heart. Sad that your season ended this way but you’ve already given so much. A million fans on the gymternet will never forget you and your contributions to the sport.”

Willard B Kille: “Tory, our prayers go out for you, the docs and nurses who will perform the operations, your family and loved ones. YOU have been the most inspiring leader of an amazing group of young women who light up our week-end with thrills, beauty and incredible poise … Best of everything to you … you’re a true hero – Bless you!”

Jerry Cecil: “Three years ago I was channel surfing and I saw you on the uneven bars. I decided to see how you would do. You finished your routine and stuck the landing. I was amazed. I’ve been following the Utes ever since. When I saw what happened last night my heart broke. I couldn’t believe it. I pray to the good lord that he lays his healing hands on you so you heal quickly. God bless you Tori Wilson.”

Michelle Rae Bunn: “Tory, you’ve been an inspiration since your first year at Utah and I’ve enjoyed watching you over the years, your never ending smile and positive attitude will get you through your recovery. All of our hearts sank when you went down and the rest of the night was bitter sweet. Congrats 2015 Pac-12 vault champion!!!”

Wilson has been surprised and touched by the support.

“I have gotten pictures from kids and a little girl gave me her phone number, just really cute things, and people have been really supportive and nice and it’s just unexpected,” Wilson said. “I don’t even have words for how grateful I am for all the support.”

The injury was anything but a dream ending to her collegiate career, but Wilson is doing her best to keep her spirits high.

“To be able to continue living day to day and doing stuff you have to be able to motivate yourself and [my teammates] are still on season so I want to be a support for them,” Wilson said.

@millerjryan