Women’s basketball: Pacific’s Lynne Roberts named new Utah head coach

Womens basketball: Pacifics Lynne Roberts named new Utah head coach

Lynne Roberts.JPG

It took over a month, but Utah finally found the right person to lead its women’s basketball team.

On Monday, the university announced it had hired Pacific’s Lynne Roberts to fill the vacancy left by the firing of Anthony Levrets in March. Roberts spent nine seasons at Pacific, where she was a two-time conference coach of the year (2013 Big Sky and 2015 WCC).

“There was strong interest in our women’s basketball position and we had some extremely good candidates,” Athletic Director Dr. Chris Hill said in a release. “We felt that Lynne Roberts had all of the attributes we were looking for and we are excited to welcome her as our new head coach. Lynne is well-respected in the profession, not only for her winning track record, but also for her recruiting skills, emphasis on student-athlete welfare and desire to actively engage the community. Lynne appreciates our long tradition of women’s basketball success and is excited at the challenges ahead as we strive to become a leader in the Pac-12.”

Roberts will be tasked with the assignment of trying to turn around a program that finished last in the Pac-12 in 2014-15, after an injury-filled season. But luckily for Utah, turning around a program is something that Roberts has done before.

Pacific had won just 11 games in the previous two seasons before she arrived, and though it took time (she had a 51-99 record in her first five years there) she was able to make the Tigers competitive, going 84-45 in her last four years, including a 21-10 record this past season.

“I am extremely humbled and excited for the opportunity to coach at the University of Utah,” Roberts said. “I am very appreciative of President Pershing, Chris Hill and Senior Women’s Administrator Nona Richardson for the chance to work with this group of tremendous young women.

“Coming to Utah gives me an opportunity to be a part of a very special community and be a member of an incredible tradition. My highest priorities are spending time and developing relationships with the players on this team, getting to know our former players, and recruiting future Utes.”

@millerjryan