Pressure to perform during finals is just like closing out a game

Baseball.jpg

The crowd is going wild. The lights have never been brighter. The game is on the line.

The only thing between you and victory is the distance between the mound and home plate. Your team is leading by one run, and it’s the bottom of the ninth. You are the closer and need just three outs for the victory. Everything that has happened in the game has led to you taking your place on the mound.

You are expected to perform, but after a rough start you lose some composure, and all of a sudden the bases are loaded. On the bright side, you’ve managed to get two outs and are one strike away from getting out of the jam — it all depends on one pitch. You take a deep breath and get the sign from your catcher. The pitch call is your bread and butter, the one you have spent hours practicing: fastball, inside corner.

How will you perform when the pressure is greatest and when execution is essential?

Believe it or not, although this scenario sounds like baseball, it is the exact situation that’s faced by all students at the end of the semester. Another finals week is upon us, and with its completion, another semester of school will be in the books.

But don’t close up those books right now — you are in the ninth inning, and being on top of your school game is as critical as ever. Don’t blow a save by getting lackadaisical during the final part of the game. Study and preparation is essential. And no, staying up all night before an exam is not studying. That’s called cramming, and it’s not nearly as effective as studying.

Throughout the semester we have completed assignments and done exercises that have helped teach us the skills necessary to succeed in each of our classes. Though the weight of final exams varies from class to class, it usually constitutes the largest portion of the grade for a class. With so much hanging on these last few days, why would we choose to throw away all the hard work and studying we did during the first eight innings? It doesn’t make sense. It is at this point of the game and semester that we need to be at our best. No slacking, no nonchalant pitches. If there was ever a time to bring out the 100 mph fastball, it’s now.

We need to become the Mariano Riveras and Trevor Hoffmans during this last week. The work has been put in, and everything is in place for us to succeed. All we have to do is go out there and get three outs.

The phone in the bullpen is ringing. Coach just answered it and turned and looked your way. A simple nod from him is all the communication that is needed. You grab your glove and start jogging your way to the mound.

The crowd is going wild. The lights are bright.

The game is on the line.

Happy finals, everyone.

@brock_jensen02