“Bridge of Spies” Review – Great Acting and Good Pacing Bring History to Life

When Tom Hanks stars in a movie, it’s bound to be noticed. And this month, one was. “Bridge of Spies,” directed by Steven Spielberg, took third in the box office this weekend, just behind “Goosebumps” and “The Martian.”

“Bridge of Spies,” inspired by actual events, brought history to the present, delivering a thought-provoking film.

When insurance lawyer Jim Donovan is asked by his firm to defend a Russian spy in order to give fair treatment during the Cold War, his life turns completely around. He is looked at and treated as a hated man, but he understands the importance of representing his client lawfully and equally. After finishing the case, Donovan is later recruited by the CIA to negotiate an exchange between his client and an American spy captured by the Soviet Union. Using intelligence, justice and dedication, Donovan must find a way to make the exchange while also trying to rescue a captured young American student.

The first few minutes of the movie were silent, showing characters in action with very little dialogue. This decision can be both intense and dangerous. There is the risk of losing the audience quickly by not explicitly explaining the meaning behind the chase. However, this film kept the audience glued to the screen starting with scene one and left questions to be answered later.

Thoughtful and slow-paced, “Bridge of Spies” portrays the legal side of things during war, making it an atypical war movie. “Bridge of Spies” does not use action scenes to generate suspense, instead relying on dialogue. While there are a few scenes that depict distressing situations, the movie is carried by intense and short conversations.

It is a long movie and there are a lot of legal terms and logistic discussions. For some, that may make the movie a little too long. There were parts in the film when it was hard to pay attention, but soon after the film would provide a scene to wake up the sleepers.

The acting was phenomenal. Hanks, as expected, took on his character of Donovan with confidence and style. No one else could have portrayed his character as dedicated and sympathetic as he did. But it was Mark Rylance, as Russian spy Rudolf Abel, who was a surprise. Rylance exhibited extraordinary acting expertise by successfully presenting his character as witty, loyal and calm. His character was unexpectedly easy to like even though he could be considered a villain. HIs short, clever one-liners added a little humor to the film. The casting for this movie significantly helped its overall success.

“Bridge of Spies” reminds the audience about loyalty for their country. After leaving the film, some audience members are bound to take a closer look at their country allegiance. Showing a Russian spy refuse to give in to the adversary, an American spy hold true to his country’s expectations and a lawyer give the enemy his full attention, this movie displays loyalty beyond the average flag waver.

“Bridge of Spies” may seem long, but it is worth the length. It portrays quick dialogue scene changes, incredible acting and a smart plot line.