Volleyball: Utes fall to both LA teams over the weekend

Chris Samuels
Members of the U volleyball team align themselves before the serve in the 2015 Utah Classic against the Idaho State Bengals in the Jon M. Huntsman Center, Friday, August 28, 2015.

Two up, two down • The Utes started a short winning streak last weekend by beating both Oregon teams at home, but they followed those wins with a pair of losses this weekend in Los Angeles. After breaking a nine-game losing streak last week, Utah hoped to reel off a few more wins and build on its success, but those dreams fell apart quickly. On Friday against the Bruins, the Utes dropped the first two sets of the match, 25-16 and 25-20, respectively. Then they pulled within one set against the No. 9 team in the nation with a 25-21 set three win. The Utes looked alive and ready to compete after the third set but couldn’t pull off another win to force a fifth set, falling 25-16 in the fourth and final set. Against the Trojans, Utah couldn’t manage a single set victory against the second-ranked team in the country in USC. The Utes fell in consecutive sets, 25-13, 25-22 and 25-20.

Defensive and Offensive Battles • Utah’s match against UCLA was a major defensive battle between the two teams. The Bruins held the Utes to a measly .133 hitting percentage, while adding 14 blocks to the box score. The Bruins themselves hit a .226 percentage, but in the set they dropped to the Utes, Utah held them to just a .098 percentage. The Utes added seven blocks themselves, including five from senior Brenna DeYoung. Ultimately, UCLA played better defense and walked away with the victory. Two nights later, the Trojans and Utes competed in offensive output. Utah hit a .219 percentage while USC recorded an amazing .364 percentage, including a .459 percentage in the first set. Both teams only recorded five blocks each. USC’s Samantha Bricio walked away with a match-high 21 kills.

Star Watch • Adora Anae was named Pac-12 Offensive Player of the Week last week after recording 48 kills in two matches. This week, Anae didn’t fare as well on the offensive side but still contributed to the team all around. Anae only had 20 kills over these two matches, but led the team in digs both matches. She recorded 23 digs against the Bruins and 13 against the Trojans. Anae continues to be the workhorse for this Utah team, as she had 94 kill attempts over the weekend, leading the Utes by far.

Pac-12 Point • Utah fell to 3-11 in conference play after these two losses. The Utes are currently tied with Washington State, Cal and Oregon State for worst conference record in the Pac-12. The next closest opponent is Oregon at 6-8. As it stands, the battle is now between the four bottom teams to see who can distinguish themselves and pull off a few wins against the conference and pull away from the tie for last in the Pac-12. Meanwhile, UCLA moved to 11-3 in conference play over the weekend and is in third place in the conference, two spots away from USC, who own a 13-1 conference record and tops the Pac-12.

Coach’s Corner • “We continue to work on our blocking and defense because we are starting to make some progress with that,” head coach Beth Launiere said on what the team will try and improve on. “We wanted to stick with that. Other than that, we are really in that flow now where we are just doing a lot of everything and keep sharp.”

@Twelvegage96