Volleyball: Freshman Berkeley Oblad proving her worth as a Ute

Opting for experience, most teams don’t have too many freshmen playing key roles in their game plan. Then again, most teams don’t have a true freshman as talented as Berkeley Oblad.

The Utes have the privilege of having her among their ranks, and Oblad has proven why she deserves to play a major role on this team so early into her career.

Oblad attended Coronado High School in Nevada and there compiled a list of accomplishments that stretches on for miles. She was a letter winner and a starter all four years of her high school career, led her team to two straight championship berths in 2013 and 2014 and was a Nevada Gatorade Volleyball Player of the Year finalist in 2014.

As recruiting began, she was ranked No. 34 on the PrepVolleyball.com Senior Ace List. As her senior season wrapped up, she was named to the Under Armour High School All-American second team.

With all those experiences, Oblad has learned some pretty important lessons.

“The first time we went to the state championship, we went down 2-0 in the semifinal match,” Oblad said. “Then we came back and pulled out the win. We did the same thing in the championship match. I learned that the game is about momentum and is never really over. I learned that hard work will win matches.”

After graduating from high school, Oblad was a player many colleges sought after, but she was immediately won over when she visited Utah’s campus.

“I fell in love with the campus and the other girls on the team,” Oblad said. “The visit really won me over.”

Head coach Beth Launiere talked about what she saw in the 6-foot-4 recruit when she saw her play.

“Obviously, her size and athleticism,” Launiere said. “She’s very physical and strong but moves very well for her size. What we didn’t know was how coachable and mature she is. She makes changes to her game and improves really quickly. For a freshman, her maturity level is outstanding.”

In her debut as a Ute, Oblad definitely impressed. She recorded seven kills and two blocks against Idaho State. Her real coming-out party, though, came against Colorado when the Utes opened up Pac-12 play. She made the start in front of a home crowd at the Huntsman Center and didn’t disappoint. She was given 35 attempts, second only to Adora Anae, and matched the team-high in kills for the night with 11. She added four blocks to her stat line, and ever since then, her position on the team has been unquestioned.

She has started ever since and has played a key role for this young team. Stepping up to this challenge wasn’t hard for her, even in the face of some talented opponents in the Pac-12.

“I don’t get intimidated very easily,” Oblad said. “I was excited to play in such a great conference. I wasn’t nervous. I was just excited.”

As a freshman, Oblad is already relied on to make plays and execute the game plan Launiere sets up for the team.

Even with all this success, however, Oblad continues to work on her game every day.

“Every little thing we work on, she changes,” Launiere said. “She holds these changes really well. We don’t hold back on the info we give her because we know how quickly she learns.”

Oblad has always had a stellar work ethic and remains motivated, no matter what.

“I’ve always been motivated,” Oblad said. “I’m always looking for ways to get better. I want to be better than I was yesterday. It keeps me motivated.”

With this motivation, Oblad will undoubtedly continue to improve. She will develop into a star for this young Utes team and will be proving to the Pac-12 why she was so highly ranked coming out of high school in the coming years.

@Twelvegage96