More Than Just a Piece of Glass: Red Butte Gardens Displays Glasswork Exhibit

While Red Butte Garden is known for many things, from concerts to flowers to spooky Halloween festivities, one may not think of it housing art exhibits. Currently, an extensive exhibit called Glass at the Garden, displaying works by local artists using various glassworking techniques, is running in the welcome center. The welcome center is accessible without purchasing access to the garden; however, U students get free admission to the garden with their UCard, so it is worth checking it all out at the same time.

“Glass at the Garden” consists of unique glass pieces by members of the Glass Art Guild of Utah. The guild consists of local glass artists who work together to support each other in the creation of their works through various glass art techniques. Members of the guild have access to classes, workshops and the chance to have their art displayed in venues across the state, such as Red Butte.

glass 2

The glassworks currently on display range from jewelry to sculptures to garden art. There are also fun and functional pieces, such as dishes, picture frames and light switch covers. The space housing the art is directly up the front steps when you walk in the front door. The space is perfect for display of the glass, as the light from the floor-to-ceiling windows spills onto the displays and lights up the room. The space also looks right out onto the garden, making it a perfect place to spend an hour or two admiring the art, even on a stormy afternoon. If you have time, head over to the Natural History Museum right next door to take advantage of more free student admission.

One of the best things about the exhibit, aside from the beautiful variety of the pieces, is that all of the items on display are for sale. This makes the exhibit a perfect place to do holiday or personal shopping. The items aren’t exactly cheap, but the prices are worth it when you recognize the skill and attention to detail that went into their creation. The huge range of glasswork styles also makes for a gift that is as unique as the recipient and provides an opportunity to do some research into the glasswork method. Your purchase will directly support the local artists who are trying to make a name for themselves on the art scene.

Stop by Red Butte after class sometime this month and feast your eyes on some glass treasures. The exhibit runs until Dec. 20. There will be an artist reception for Glass at the Garden this Saturday, Nov. 14, from 2 to 5 p.m., when you can mingle with the artists. There will also be a Holiday Open House on Saturday and Sunday, Dec. 5 and 6, when garden admission will be free to the public. Red Butte Garden is open every day from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m. and will be closed on Thanksgiving and from Dec. 24 to Jan. 1.