ASUU Pres. Seeks To Promote Diversity In Cabinet Member Selection

ASUU office, Friday, March 25th, 2016, Peter Creveling Daily Utah Chronicle

The first order of business for the newly-elected ASUU administration is to select a cabinet. With this task, President Jack Bender is looking to fulfill commitments made on the campaign trail.

Applications for the executive cabinet opened March 25. Available positions include chief of staff, campus relations director, diversity director, elections registrar, sustainability director and more.

Bender hopes for a large applicant pool so he can fulfill a promise his party made in the final ASUU debate — to increase diversity in the executive branch. His administration is relying on advertising to expand their prospects and has reached out to various groups on campus, such as the Center for Ethnic Student Affairs, the Women’s Resource Center and the Veterans Support Center.

Kathryn Stockton, the interim associate vice president of the Office for Equity and Diversity, said she was thrilled when she heard about this goal because it signals a commitment to equity. Stockton believes diversity in student government will help improve the experience of students at the U because “diverse representatives are likely to be able to share crucial perspectives from their backgrounds, cultural knowledge and life experiences — all of which offer critical enrichments to decision-making.”

According to a letter from the new ASUU administration prefacing the applications, the U has one of the largest student governments in the country, allowing for more opportunities for students to participate.

“We are looking for innovative, dedicated and charismatic students who are willing to share their talents in the service of the entire student body,” the letter says. “We are looking for an executive cabinet that will aid in the achievement of our administrative goals and platform, and in return, we promise you a memorable college experience that will help you grow as an individual and a student leader.”

The administration will begin by hiring the chief of staff so they can include the selected candidate in subsequent interviews for other positions. The application for chief of staff is due April 1. The primary responsibilities include supervising the activities of ASUU’s boards, enforcing executive orders and organizing and facilitating cabinet meetings.

The 15 other executive cabinet director and associate director positions have applications due April 4 and 13, respectively. ASUU administration plans to have all jobs filled by April 14.

Applications and more information can be found online at: asuu.utah.edu/news/positions-for-the-asuu-2016-2017-administration.

@emilyinorgandy