Adopting the BYU Rivalry

Troy Williams only knew one rivalry growing up: USC vs. UCLA.

Williams had no idea that a rivalry even existed between Utah and BYU. Sure, he knew about both schools, and he knew they often played against each other because they both reside in the same state, but he didn’t know much more than that.

However, when Williams learned that there actually was a rivalry and how seriously fans take it, he was eager to not only join it, but to be a major part of it this season. The first time he really understood what the rivalry meant to the state of Utah was during 2015 Las Vegas Bowl.

Williams saw how both fan bases got riled up before the game and how they interacted with each other during the game. He admits that he fell asleep after Utah had built its large lead, but when Williams woke up and it was a close game, it was then that he could better see the full extent of everything.

“I get the sense that as long as we win this game, no [other] game really matters, so I’m excited to get out there,” Williams said.

Aside from rewatching the game film from the Vegas Bowl, Williams has been asking around why the rivalry is such a big deal. He has been getting a bit of insight from Jackson and Cody Barton and Isaac Asiata, but even then, he doesn’t think he will be able to fully understand until he steps out onto the field.

However, Williams feels sure about one thing — he thinks BYU will be playing with a chip on its shoulder since losing to the Utes in the final game of the season last year.

“I don’t know why they hate each other so much, but I’m with it because I’m here now, so I’m a part of the hatred,” Williams said. “Gotta go out there and represent for our state.”

But Williams isn’t studying that film too closely anymore. With a new head coach, former Utah defensive coordinator Kalani Sitake, taking over the BYU football program, Williams doesn’t see too many similarities from last year’s team to this year’s.

This past Saturday, the Cougars took down the Arizona Wildcats, 18-16, on the road. So Williams, who has often been noted as staying in the film room until 10 at night, studied that game until he felt like he has figured out BYU’s plan. However, he is aware that the Cougars probably have a lot left in store they did not debut against Arizona.

“Going to continue to watch it over and over and over until I get tired of it,” Williams said.

In the first game of the season, Williams threw for 272 yards, and he finished with two touchdowns. He hopes he can build off of this performance moving forward into the season.

Williams didn’t have the same air of confidence he typically does when he steps out on the field, but that had more to do with some first game jitters. So with his nerves calmed and a renewed focus for the offense, Williams is expecting everyone from the wide receivers to the offensive line to step it up.

Evan Moeai, a former BYU fan, agrees with Williams. Moeai thinks he could have done a better job blocking when he was on the line, and he also thinks the team could do without that bit of hesitancy it played with on Thursday, and more with the aggressive play.

“We want to be able to move the ball regardless of where we’re at on the field and the red zone has been kind of a sticky point,” Moeai said. “We really want to focus on being aggressive up front and also being able to get open and make plays in the throw game.”

Moeai received a medical redshirt last season after he was injured in the game against Michigan, so he didn’t get an opportunity to play in the Vegas Bowl. But one thing that kept ringing in his head is that he would get another shot — another shot to play BYU — and he would by lying if he said he wasn’t looking forward to this game.

“It’s a big deal to be honest, I’m not going to say it’s not, or beat around the bush,” Moeai said. “Last year when I went down, that was one of the first thoughts in my head. I’ll be back next year and I’m playing BYU, and I’m excited for that.”

@kbrenneisen