Fan on the Street: What Utah Fans are Expecting from the Rivalry Game

Jose Remes
University of Utah’s first game of the season. Utes vs BYU. University of Utah in Salt Lake City, UT on Wednesday,Aug.30, 2017 (Photo by Jose Remes/ Daily Utah Chronicle)

Before the University of Utah football team got things rolling against North Dakota this past Thursday, The Utah Chronicle spoke to a few fans to get their thoughts on the game that has been on everyone’s minds — Utah vs. BYU.

Sierra Aquino, student, @sierraaquino

Who do you think will win in the Utah vs. BYU game?

I think Utah will win. I heard last year there were first graders that had never seen BYU win. Utah is on a winning streak and I don’t think nor what that to end.

University of Utah’s first game of the season. Fans on street. Sierra Aquino University of Utah in Salt Lake City, UT on Thursday,Aug.31, 2017
(Photo by Jose Remes/ Daily Utah Chronicle)

Summer Goldstrohm, student, @summergoldstrohm

What do you think about the Utah vs. BYU rivalry?

I just think we are going to win. We have more wins over BYU and we beat them last year so all I have to say is, “Go Utes.”

University of Utah’s first game of the season. Fans on street. Summer Goldstrohm. University of Utah in Salt Lake City, UT on Thursday,Aug.31, 2017

John Monson, alumnus, @johnmonsonpg

What are your score predictions for the Utah vs. BYU game?

I think it’s going to be 28-7 in favor of Utes. BYU doesn’t really have a great offense and it’s nothing against our old or new offense, but it’s a rivalry game. I’ll give BYU a total of 17 points for just some couple of lucky shots they might get on us, but Utah will win.

University of Utah’s first game of the season. Fans on street. John Monson.University of Utah in Salt Lake City, UT on Wednesday,Aug.30, 2017

Jake Healey, student

Who do you think will be a standout player for Utah against BYU?

There will be plenty of standout players. For example, Mitch Wishnowsky, he is always a killer. He just nails it every time, but I think the rivalry is fun between Utah and BYU because if BYU wasn’t decent at football, it would just be lame to destroy them every single time. We have to be close some of the time.

University of Utah’s first game of the season. Fans on street. Jake Healey. University of Utah in Salt Lake City, UT on Wednesday,Aug.30, 2017

Steve Marchant, fan

We are hoping that Tyler Huntley pulls through for us. As far as the rivalry, I think the rivalry is great because Utah always wins. The school down south can’t win a game against [us] and hasn’t in a while, so I think Utah will win no question.

University of Utah’s first game of the season. Fans on street. Steve Marchant. University of Utah in Salt Lake City, UT on Wednesday,Aug.30, 2017

Sheldon Dale, fan

Utah is going to win because we are No. 1 in my opinion. With score predictions, I’d say the game will go 27-14 in favor of Utah. With our offense and our defense, BYU has nothing on us right now to get a win on us.

University of Utah’s first game of the season. Fans on street. Sheldon Dale University of Utah in Salt Lake City, UT on Wednesday,Aug.30, 2017

Ella Sahli, student, @ella_sahli

The new quarterback because he is fresh and new. We trust the coaches. They know what they are doing, so we all think Huntley will be the standout player in the game against BYU.

University of Utah’s first game of the season. Fans on street. Ella Sahli University of Utah in Salt Lake City, UT on Wednesday,Aug.30, 2017

Kelli Washington, alumnae, @killah_kelli

BYU sucks. I’m a die-hard Utah fan. I’m obviously not a BYU fan and we beat them most of the time, so I think the rivalry is fun because Utah always wins.

University of Utah’s first game of the season. Fans on street. Kelli Washington University of Utah in Salt Lake City, UT on Wednesday,Aug.30, 2017

Ron Blosch, fan

I think Darren Carrington because he fits in Troy Taylor’s regime and he also fits in Huntley regime as head quarterback. Taylor’s regime a little bit more focused in the throwing aspect of the game and that’s what Carrington fits to because he comes in with a lot of talent as a receiver.

University of Utah’s first game of the season. Fans on street. Ron Bloseh University of Utah in Salt Lake City, UT on Wednesday,Aug.30, 2017

Ryan McKinnon, former faculty, @McKinnon

I think the kicker, Wishnowsky, because it’s always the kicker that wins or loses that game when it comes to Utah vs BYU, so I’m going to say Wishnowsky will be the standout player because he will either win the game or loses it for his team.

University of Utah’s first game of the season. Fans on street. Ryan Mckinnon University of Utah in Salt Lake City, UT on Wednesday,Aug.30, 2017