Utah Football Player Arrested for Kidnapping and Rape of Minor

By Casey Overfield and Sammy Mora

*Retraction: A previous version of this article was published with a photo of student athlete that is not at all discussed in the article. That student athlete is in no way involved in the criminal action being reported on.

This article contains descriptions of sexual assault and may be triggering to some readers. Discretion is advised.

Last week, Terrell Perriman, a member of the University of Utah football team, was charged with the kidnapping and rape of a 17-year-old girl, according to court documents. He was arrested shortly after. 

Court documents say the two met on Instagram and then moved conversations to text and Snapchat. Throughout their conversations, Perriman allegedly sent the girl nude pictures and other provocative photos, and pressured her into reciprocating. 

Shortly after they began talking online, documents say Perriman sent the victim an Uber to his apartment. When she arrived, he trapped her in his room and blockaded the door.  She noticed that he had a taser, and this scared her, police reports state.

After pleading with Perriman to be let go, he would agree only if she would engage in sexual actions with him, which she told him she did not want to do. Documents say she told him she was still a minor and the two had only a casual relationship with each other. 

Perriman then took her cell phone and covered her mouth, muffling her screams as he pulled down his own pants, then hers and proceeded to rape the young girl.  Afterwards, he called an Uber to bring the girl back home. 

The Salt Lake City Police Department later arrested Perriman on suspicion of aggravated kidnapping, which is a third-degree felony, and rape, which is a first-degree felony. 

Perriman has no prior convictions, but a detective with the department — Greg Wilking — told the press there is “some indication” that he may have engaged in similar actions before.

He is currently being held in the Salt Lake County Jail, with bail set at $500,000. 

The 20-year-old redshirt freshman wide receiver from Florida saw action in 10 games this season, six of which he played on offense. He had two catches for nine yards versus Idaho State and one rush for five yards versus Texas.

After he was arrested head football coach Kyle Whittingham announced the Perriman had been suspended indefinitely from the team. He has also been suspended from the University.

“Obviously, this does not reflect the values and standards of our program and we will continue to monitor the situation as it moves through the legal process,” Whittingham said. “We are cooperating with the authorities and university personnel and will continue to assist as requested. Due to the ongoing legal proceedings, we are unable to comment further at this time.”

According to the Salt Lake Police Department, cases like this often include more than one victim.  If you or someone you know is a victim, you can call the police victim advocates at 801-580-7969.

@CaseyOverfield

@s_mora99